Monday, April 04, 2005

Construction and Omlettes

We're in the midst of remodeling our 20 year old kitchen. I was greeted by plastic sheeting and waves of white plaster dust when I got home this afternoon. "You REALLY won't want to be in here this week" our contractor said. No, I don't want to be in there, and I miss my kitchen!

It makes me think about the how difficult it is to change our lives, even when it is for our own good. El Jefe and I have been talking about having this work done for the past two years. It's taken us this long because I dreaded the work and disruption it would involve and was reluctant to get started. Now that I'm in the middle of it, it's not so bad and I'm looking forward to the finished result.

My church and our presbytery are engaged in "visioning" processes that should ultimately involve significant changes in the life of those groups. For the church the changes will probably involve remodeling, building and expansion of its facilities. Things will have to be moved, meeting places will change temporarily and the campus will be different when the "vision" is fulfilled. Policy changes will be the focus of the presbytery's visioning process and could be just as disruptive as any building expansion or remodeling.

Construction is always a messy process--whether it is construction of a building or a new way of being an organization. Unpredictable weather can cause major problems in a project while events outside of the church and presbytery can also disrupt plans for change.

You always hope when you crack eggs to make an omlette that it will be a tasty dish when you finish cooking it. But if the eggs aren't fresh, the pan too hot, you forget to butter the pan, or you get distracted and leave it in the pan too long, the omlette will be ruined.

In the parable of the wise and foolish builders, Jesus warned that a house that is not built on a firm foundation will not last. Whether we are remodeling our house, our church or our presbytery we pray that we are building on solid foundations so that the result will be good.

No comments: