Monday, October 10, 2005

Being Part of Baseball History: Go 'Stros!


I'm still limp from the unexpected double-header yesterday. Yes, El Jefe and I were at the Astros-Braves playoff game which lasted 18 innings until a home-run by Astro Chris Burke ended the marathon after nearly 6 hours of play.

Whew! Talk about fanny-fatigue! The fans stood through almost every Astro at-bat from the 7th inning on. We were up and down so often that my knees started to ache. Talk about emotion--when the crowd saw the old warrior Roger Clemens make his way from the dugout to the bullpen, they erupted with cheers. Talk about flexibility--players were moved around the field like chess pieces. By the end of the game two Astros catchers played first base. Talk about gut-wrenching--a terrible disappointment for the Braves, who played a great game.

It was so exciting to be part of the crowd at the game. Almost all of the sold-out crowd hung in through all 18 innings and jumped up and down as one when the home run flew into the stands.

An event like this fosters a real sense of community both in the ballpark and around town. We can sure use this excitement in Houston right now as we still are dealing with the aftermath of Rita and Katrina. On our way to the game we passed a large digital sign on the highway giving the hours and location where applications for FEMA assistance were being received. That sign is updated daily.

The first pitch of the game Saturday was made by Houston Mayor Bill White in recognition of his fine work during both hurricane emergencies. Yesterday's first pitch was made by Harris County Judge Bill Eckels for the same reason. The crowd loudly cheered both men: one a Democrat (the mayor) and one a Republican (the judge). That feeling of unity is one of the best things a sports team brings to its community--regardless of the outcome of the game.

Go 'Stros!

7 comments:

reverendmother said...

I wish my dad (God rest his soul) could have been there. He loved the 'Stros only a little bit less than he loved the city of Houston. He would've gotten a big kick out of that.

will smama said...

HOLY CRAP!!! I cannot believe you were at that game. Good for you and yours. I cannot even imagine the roar that was when Ausmus hit that homer out in the 9th.

What a game! And congrats on actually being there. Keep the ticket, because in just a few years the amount of people saying they were there will FAR exceed those who actually were.

I am rooting for the 'Stros because I think they showed themselves to be a classy organization by sticking with guys like Biggio and Bagwell even though they are getting older. Bagwell especially had me shaking my head a bit, but there is something to be said for an organization that does not throw away guys who have done so much for them.

Jody Harrington said...

I will keep the ticket! The 'Stros are a classy organization and I think the fans are pretty classy, too. We have season tickets and so this was really a thrill after sitting through the first part of the season which was a bummer.

spookyrach said...

Yay for y'all! (Six hours!!??? Wow.)

mibi52/ The Rev. Dr. Mary Brennan Thorpe said...

Congrats, and healing for your poor knees and butt after that marathon game! Those of us who are Boston Red Sox fans know how joyful these moments can be...so enjoy it to the fullest.

Greg Hazelrig said...

Well, I guess I'm the odd man out here. I am an avid Atlanta Braves fan and have been ever since I was a kid sitting on the floor watching them play with my grandfather.

But I will say this. It was a great game. And you are right about the Astros. They are a classy organization. My only struggle is to decide on whether or not I should rout for the team that beat my team....ha ha.

Good luck in the rest of the playoffs. And by the way. I sat in front of the TV for 5 an half hours and afterwards didn't want to get up again...ever. Boy, we need a bullpen next year.

I will go now before I begin to cry...ha ha.

Jody Harrington said...

Last year we rooted for the Cardinals in the World Series, after Houston was eliminated by them, on the theory that if you loose you want to loose to the champion. So maybe you can root for the Astros on the same theory? :-)

You have my sympathy--loosing that hard-fought game has got to be a bitter pill for the Braves fans.