Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Distracted by Distractions


Last night I went to the Presbyterian Coalition's service of repentance at Grace PC in Houston. The Coalition is meeting in Houston in advance of the Presbyterian Global Fellowship's meeting later this week, and I was invited to attend their service.

It was very interesting--they said that the order of worship was a traditional form that was used by Calvin. There was lots of singing of traditional hymns, which I loved. It's always uplifting to sing with a congregation full of ministers who sing with gusto!

Unfortunately I found myself so distracted by concerns at home that I just couldn't focus on the service when it became clear it was going to last much longer than the hour I expected. Since I was sitting at the back, I finally crept out of the service, but felt like a heel. Then I was late for the next thing I was going to.

Now I'm repenting of being distracted by my own distractions and resolving to focus better next time.

5 comments:

Gannet Girl said...

Hope things are ok ~

Jody Harrington said...

Thanks, GG--everything is really fine. We just had some job-search-for-Babs related frustrations.

Lori said...

Job searches can be frustrating!!! Hope everything works out. Just remember my version of the old saying: "When a door closes, God opens a window (although sometimes it will be 5 feet beyond your reach with no chair in the room)" :)

Gannet Girl said...

It's amazing, isn't it, how thoroughly our lives can be turned upside down by the experiences of children whom we might have thought of as 20+ years beyond that capability?

May I offer this solace out of my own self-pity: at least Babs HAS a job search, unlike a certain 22yo I know.

The Dustinator said...

So the service went too long? They must not have had a clock face on a monitor facing the chancel, ticking away the seconds!