Monday, April 10, 2006

Arts & Craps & Bluebonnets

It's springtime in Texas and a girl's fancy lightly turns to thoughts of bluebonnets...and shopping. So Friday my good friend Dorothy and I joined a bus tour of Central Texas' two biggest tourist attractions: Arts & Crafts (called Arts & Craps by El Jefe) and the bluebonnet trail.

Alas this is not a good year for bluebonnets because it has been too dry. We did see a few. It was definitely NOT a good year for Arts & Craps, either. I mean, how many metal giant Texas stars, rusting wagon wheels, and mismatched "antique" china does a person need?

But we were undaunted and turned the day into a personal challenge to find the absurd, the kooky, and the tasteless and put it on the blog. Dorothy was equipped with a great camera and a great eye. Credit her with the photos and blame me for the comments!

QG and Dorothy's Award for Most Politically In-Correct Craft


The " And What Ethnic Group of Dancers Are These ?" Award


Dorothy's Worst Use of Quilting Award


The Taking Face-Painting Too Far Award


QG's Just for Mindy Award

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

~applaudes and using her best Sally Fields voice~

You LIKE me! You really LIKE me!

I love this!! And your awards were DEAD on!

spookyrach said...

Oh my GOSH! I'm howling! Howling, I tell ya! You two should totally hook up with my friend in Athens. We have tons of fun at Canton, yet another hot bed of pollitically correct crafting!

mibi52/ The Rev. Dr. Mary Brennan Thorpe said...

It's a good thing I'm up here and not down there, because I'm trying to get rid of stuff, y'know, and I'd be so very tempted to buy stuff there...and maybe even dance, if I could get one of those cool outfits. Do you think they're the "TransAmerica" dancers? They look a bit, um, suspect to me.

Anonymous said...

Excellent choice of award winners...and ohh I miss Blue Bonnets, and Texas in the spring back here freezing in the UK where it is still winter...and I am going camping on Thursday bbrrrrr

reverendmother said...

Like Sally, I miss the motherland as well--thanks for the "fix".

All I need is a picture of someone with big hair aka "bangs to Jesus" and I'll be set.

Jody Harrington said...

RM--Dorothy and I will see what we can do. Have camera, will blog...

Sue said...

These are hilarious!! Love 'em...

little david said...

Thanks for using the opportunity well. You could have just turned around and gone home, but you got that camera going and entertained the rest of us. Thanks QG!

St. Casserole said...

Canton? As in Canton, MS? Good grief??? I could meet you there?
Wow!
Thank Dorothy for the pictures! Hilarious.

Karen Sapio said...

Love the "big girl panties" plaque. Could we make that a new RGBP T-shirt/mug??? Or is it copyrighted?

Jody Harrington said...

St Cass--Rach is referring to Canton TX which is the state's mecca for trash'n treasure hunting. It is open once a month and is spread out over many acres.

PCIT--I'm don't think the "big girl panties" line is copyrighted or trademarked. It would make a great t-shirt/mug!

Maybe Mindy can get the guy who did the Texas Towncar O'Justice t-shirt to design a "big girl panties" one for us?

Flutterby said...

I had to peek; that is just SO Mindy!! LOL And how wonderful to see others refer to the *motherland*. I get odd looks when I say that here.

christine mtm said...

what is so funny is that my daugter cannot pronounce arts and crafts so it usually comes out: "ups and craps".

spookyrach said...

...sending t-shirt designer a link to your blog...

Anonymous said...

ouch I've laughed so much it hurts.

Thanks QG I needn't this

jonboy said...

Got the link from Rach ... Would it be completely inappropriate for me to say that I've always been interested in girls panties?

By the way, those pictures are terrifying ...

Anonymous said...

Wow. These pictures make me homesick.

;)

Anonymous said...

jonboy:
yes.

John said...

"Arts & Craps" is right.

The ladies of my church are seriously into crafting. It's like mandatory to make crafts. I think that it's in the membership vows or something.