Thursday, April 06, 2006

Righting the Family Story: Update!











Back in February I wrote a post about El Jefe and his cousin sending off DNA samples in order to get geneological information. They sent the samples off to this company and in the past few days we have been receiving the information via email and internet.

There were some surprises in the result. The analysis of ethnic origins shows that their family is mostly of English origin. (Told ya so!) They both thought the results would show Irish and German ancestry--but the Irish and Scots tied for second and there were no German identical genetic matches. Alas, their hopes of finding a genetic link to Neal of the Nine Hostages have been dashed.

Instead of Germans, the Danish and the Dutch showed up in third place! El Jefe's paternal grandmother and his mother both had what we thought were German names. The explanation, according to the website, could be that their families came from areas controlled by the Germans at the time the families immigrated to the US, but were historically Danish or Dutch in ethnicity.

So now I'm watching him for signs of Danish pastry and Dutch beer cravings. But hold the smoked herring and wooden clogs. Please.

3 comments:

Michael Kruse said...

Very cool. I still haven't acted on this yet.

My great-grandfather came to the US from Denmark in 1880 where I have traced the family back to the mid-1700s. I have been told that the name "Kruse" probably originated in Hamburg. I'll be curious to see what insights the test turns up. This stuff fascinates me.

St. Casserole said...

I'd like to do this, too.
Most interesting post!

Anonymous said...

You inspired me to do this too. Can't wait to swab (or whatever they tell me - lick?? spit??)