Monday, October 23, 2006

QG On the Links

Today was one of Houston's finest days--coolish, a breeze and bright, bright sunshine. It was also the first time I ever participated in a golf tournament. Or played golf other than putt-putt. This despite the fact that I have lived in a golf course community for nearly 20 years.

St. Betty needed a fourth for the Pink Lady Tournament at one of the many Sugar Land area golf courses. As you might guess, the Pink Lady Tournament benefits Breast Cancer research. (Theme: Stroking for the Cure.) So St. Betty, her daughter, our neighbor the Election Judge and I donned our pink shirts and headed out.





No, this isn't our team, but this team was kind enough to let me get their picture and it gives you an idea of the spirit of the day.







A LOT of the teams dressed up and decorated their carts with pink boas, big pink ribbon-shaped balloons, pink inflatable flamingos and pink bedazzled accessories. I even found a pink golf ball on the course!

I learned new meanings of words:
A Mulligan isn't necessarily a stew.
A divot may not be a dance step.
A fairway isn't always fair
A scramble doesn't always involve eggs.

I also learned:
To drive a golf cart.
To tip the caddies who shot our mulligans with the pink beer tickets. (The caddies were male members of the golf club who were stationed at every hole and were having a great time chatting up the ladies and showing off their powerful swings. )
That I need longer clubs than the ones St. Betty loaned me (I'm about a foot taller than she is!)
That I have an "eye" for the green (according to the caddies and St. Betty.)

How'd we do? We shot a two over par. Of course the mulligans helped. Still the Judge and I were TOTAL newbies, while St. Betty and daughter are pretty good. It evened out.

Golf is not necessarily a good walk spoiled. Particularly in a good cause. Maybe I'll take some lessons. Here's the view on the sixth hole. Just gorgeous!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I bet you looked very smart behind the wheel!

spookyrach said...

Wow! What a way to try out a new sport. Good for you!

Gannet Girl said...

It snowed here all day. I would have tolerated even golf for a real fall day. And golf for a good cause would have been just fine.

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

You have all the fun!