Wednesday, May 07, 2008

QG To Debut in NYC

Add this to the things I never dreamed I would do: sing Ave Maria at a wedding in a Catholic church in New York City.

Faithful readers may recall that my nephew Doc is marrying Portia's best friend from college, Queenie, who he met at Portia and DK's wedding.

I sang at both of Doc's sisters' weddings and so he and Queenie asked me to sing for them, too. Their choices are On Eagles Wings and Ave Maria.

I'm really familiar with On Eagles Wings, so that's no problem. Ave Maria is another story. It's not exactly a staple of the Protestant tradition, dontcha know, but it is a very traditional choice for Catholic weddings. I'm generally familiar with the song, but haven't ever sung it myself.

The internet to the rescue! Don't you love it? I found a site that allowed me to download both the sheet music and an mp3 file with the piano and voice parts (even the one transposed for soprano!!) that would help me learn it.

My late father, the staunch Calvinist, would have been mightily amused to see the day when his daughter sang Ave Maria at a wedding in New York. If you know what the Latin lyrics mean (and I do), it seems an odd choice for a wedding, but there's no doubt that it is a beautiful, prayerful piece.

So if you'll excuse me, gotta go work on those trills and double triplets.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a former Catholic, I can tell you that one of the best recorded versions of Ave Maria was done by none other than Barbara Streisand. Kind of ironic isn't it? I guess that places you in good diverse company. That is not to say that I am a Babs fan, but she does have a magnificent voice. I can still remember my mother playing the record and singing along so many years ago.

Lori said...

I wish I could be there to hear you!

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

I am VERY impressed!

spookyrach said...

How cool is that?!

And I agree - I've heard that Streisand version and it is to die for. Ave Maria is one of my very favorite songs, religious or otherwise.

I bet you'll rock at it. In a prayerful, subdued sort of way, of course!

Jody Harrington said...

You mean I'll sing it "decently and in order"? (PresbyJoke)

Jules said...

Ditto on the Babs version as a personal favorite.

'Ave' is actually pretty popular around here, what with all the recovered Catholics.

Mark Smith said...

I insisted that we include Ave Maria in my wedding to my Catholic wife.

The priest added this little ceremony where the bride and groom give roses to each of the mothers in order to justify it.

I just love the music.

Are you doing English (ala Disney) or Latin?

Gannet Girl said...

Well, you know I would be 100% in favor of this wonderful blend!

Jody Harrington said...

Mark,

I'm singing it in Latin. What can I say, I'm a purist!

Rev Dave said...

Which Verison? There are a million of them.

Jody Harrington said...

The original Franz Schubert version which is his music with the lyrics of the Latin prayer "Ave Maria" adapted to it.

Unknown said...

Ah, wish I could hear it, too!

St. Casserole said...

I wish I could hear you, three!

I performed a wedding in a historic RC Church in New Mexico for a protestant couple. I kept giggling about MY staunch Calvinist father who would have turned green.

You'll be great with Ave Maria. Have a wonderful time in the Big City!

zorra said...

When I hear Ave Maria sung well, it always makes me wish--just a little, just for a moment--I were Catholic! I know you will sing it beautifully, and will have a wonderful time at the wedding.

Becky Ardell Downs said...

I know it'll be beautiful. And of course QG is singing it in Latin-- what are you kidding?? It will be elegant, tasteful, and completely appropriate, sweetie. Rock on.

The Dustinator said...

Kelly Clarkson sang it for the Pope when he was in NYC:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEduZe8dVzg

Not sure if this is the best version or not.

Dustin

will said...

I'd love to hear you do this. (You could always post a recording of it ...)

It is a wonderful piece of music - as much of a stretch as it may be for us Protestants.

And of course you're singing it in Latin ... I'd expect nothing less.

will smama said...

I am seriously considering - and close enough to pull it off - crashing a wedding.

It will be beautiful.