Saturday, March 26, 2005

Holy Saturday Washing

A few weeks ago I bought a pressure washer at El Jefe's instigation, so we could get the mold and mildew off the bricks and the deck around our pool. This morning I was inspired to get it out again and put it to work on the north side of the house where a lot of algae clung to the masonry.

Pressure washing is a tedious task. I thought the machine would make quick work of the grime but it takes a lot of repetitive motion and careful application to do its work. Pressure washing is actually a soothing and almost meditative activity that can lull you into using the machine for longer than is good for you. The constant vibration of the applicator can really tire the muscles in your hands, arms and shoulders.

Still it is very satisfying work to watch the grit and mildew of many years slowly dissolve under the pressurized stream of water.

Washing seems like a good way to prepare for Easter. The psalmist says "purge me with hyssop and I shall be clean, wash me and I shall be whiter than snow" (Psalm 51:7) The bricks on the side of the house aren't whiter than snow, but they are much cleaner than before. My arms ache from the effort, but I am pleased with the result. It seems like a mini-metaphor for the renewal of life and hope that we celebrate tomorrow.

A blessed Easter to all reading this.

No comments: