Thursday, June 30, 2005

Tribute to Lynn J.

That "thinking of you" card looks up reproachfully at me from my desk. I got it out last night intending to mail it to my friend in the hospital with cancer. Before I got around to addressing and mailing it this morning I got the word that he passed away early this morning. He is already missed.

Lynn Johnson was a Presbyterian minister for more than 38 years. He pastored churches, was a counselor and served as Stated Clerk of our presbytery for the last 4 years. It was in that capacity that I got to know him as he assisted the Administrative Commission that I served on recently. The situation at that church was not only divisive but potentially violent. Lynn found himself spending more time than he ever dreamed of consulting with lawyers and the General Counsel's office of the General Assembly as we worked our way through lawsuits and threatened lawsuits. He never backed down in the face of threats and public assaults on his character and reputation. He fearlessly attended that church and preached to the congregation, showing by his example Christian strength, love and the offer of repentance and reconciliation.

A true gentleman, he was not ashamed to admit his own mistakes and ask for forgiveness. He had a ready wit and a steady presence. Just a few short months ago we learned he had cancer of unknown origin. Now he has joined the Church Triumphant and we will miss him.

Well done, good and faithful servant.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear that.

St. Casserole said...

I am grateful for the example of church women and men who lead by good example.
I know you will miss him.
Thanks for this post.