Friday, July 21, 2006

Celebrating the RGBP Anniversary


HAPPY ANNIVERSARY, RGBP!

Join me in a virtual margarita (non-alcoholic, if you like) in celebration of the first anniversary of the RevGalBlogPals webring! RGBP has grown to more than 160 members in that short time, published two books of devotions, and now is seeking to incorporate itself as RevGalBlogPals, Inc. so that it can apply for 501-c-3 status. And I, your humble correspondent, am serving pro bono to draft and file all these legal documents. That will teach me to miss a blogger meet-up!

Here are my answers to the first anniversary RGBP meme:

1) What is your first memory of the RevGalBlogPals?

The now-famed 100+ comment thread at St. Cassarole's place on July 19, where the RGBP webring was born. Yes, I was so fortunate to be there at the beginning.

2) Have you met any of the other ring members in real life?

Yes. Wendy Bailey of My Backyard is a minister in my presbytery who now is one of our Associate General Presbyters. Becky Downs of Monday Morning Letters served as Minister of Congregational Life at my church before moving to Chattanooga. I met Miranda of My Farcical Existence at the APCE meeting in St. Louis in February of this year. I've talked to Songbird and Mary Beth on the phone.

I almost met Mindy (Princess of Everything) in Austin but we didn't work it out, darn it. But I did get to talk to her on the phone! I know people who know Reverendmother, and ask me about her blog, but I didn't know her when she lived in Houston.

3) Of those you haven't met, name a few you would love to know in person.

Oh, it's so hard to name just a few! So I'll list those who are on my bloglines account:

St. Cassarole (first commenter on my blog!); Songbird; Reverendmommy; Reverendmother, Cheesehead; Mindy (and her sidekick Spooky Rach, who is not--technically speaking-- a RGBP but should be); Purechristianithink; Lutheran Chik; Will Smama; Mary Beth; Singing Owl; Gord; RevAbi; Pink Shoes; and Mibi. I'd like to meet just about anyone in RGBP!

4) What has Ring Membership added to your life?

Recently, it has forced me to find my lawyer hat and brush up on all things nonprofit as I agreed to prepare all the paperwork for incorporation and 501-c-3 status. I'm thrilled to be a contributor to both of our books. But the most important thing it has added to my life is a wider group of friends who share many of the same values and interests that I do. Plus they are so much fun!

5) Describe a hope for the future of the WebRing.

That we can maintain the spirit of the group as it continues to grow.

And on a fun note, when we have our first conference wouldn't it be a hoot to have PeaceBang of Beauty Tips for Ministers do some make-overs? And we'd love to have her join RGBP, too.

20 comments:

Unknown said...

Your work is deeply appreciated!
I have been thinking for a while about how many RGBPs a trip to Texas might bring into my real life acquaintance. Any good continuing ed opportunities coming up there?

Unknown said...

P.S. I've asked PeaceBang, but no response. :-(

see-through faith said...

the margaritas are swell :) and I too am appreciative of what you do - the fun you bring and the stories you tell.

Texas ... yeah it'd be a good place for a rev gals conference :)

Jody Harrington said...

I'll look into continuing ed opportunities coming up in the Lone Star State and let you know.

A Texas meetup would be truly awesome!

Anonymous said...

Ok, I don't qualify. I don't blog at all, and I am thoroughly lay. However, as a woman Presbyterian lawyer with my own practice, I have been concerned that after this wedding Quotidian Grace might suffer a sort of post-partum depression. After all, if her only responsibilities are the spiritual eduation, growth and nurture of a good-sized church and running one, little, two-person house -- her immense talents could languish.

So, Grace, how about planning a retreat specifically for women ministers (i.e. rgbp) at Mo-Ranch or John Knox Ranch -- or someplace else I haven't thought of where they do pedicures? :)

Elaine -- who is staying safely North of the border and who ain't about to sign her last name to *THIS*
Norman, OK

Jody Harrington said...

OOOOOoooo, Elaine, what a great idea. I am not familiar with John Knox Ranch, but I know MO Ranch very well and it is fabulous in the fall or spring. As for pedicures--maybe we can get someone from Kerrville or Hunt to come over for a morning...Of course MO Ranch isn't close to an airport (about 1 1/2 hrs from San Antonio--due west), so we may want to find something that is.

Ok. This goes on the after the wedding list. Remind me in October!

mibi52/ The Rev. Dr. Mary Brennan Thorpe said...

I think I'll have a REAL margarita rather than a virtual one tonight in celebration. I'd love to do a Texas trip to meet you Texas folk...we'll see what the autumn brings in terms of the seminary schedule.

Thanks for looking into the 501(c)3 work...you are truly amazing!

Sue said...

Sign me up for the Peacebang makeover! That would be so much fun, wouldn't it?

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

Dang...I am SO in for a Texas meet-up! Let me know if you need any help in planning QG!

reverendmother said...

Hey, let's really go for a BIG grant, then we can have the retreat at Lake Austin Spa and Resort!

Ahhhhh... [going to my happy place--not that I've ever been there but I can dream]

We oughta get the frappr map going and see what the geographic center is--just out of curiosity. Probably somewhere exciting like Louisville! LOL

St. Casserole said...

Grace, thanks for all your work with RGBPsInc.

I'd love it if PeaceBang would come to speak to our conference about anything!

Jody Harrington said...

Lake Austin Spa and Resort works for me!

Seriously, the frapper map is a good idea--it would help us see how to organize regional meetups, maybe.

You're on, Mindy. After Portia's wedding and we finish all the incorporation/IRS stuff, we'll plan at least a regional meetup--we've got some Okies and at least one blogger in Louisiana as well as the Texans.

Jody Harrington said...

P.S.--of course Songbird, Mibi and anyone else who lives outside the area would also be welcome to attend!

Theresa Coleman said...

Save me some of those Margaritas!
And I think if we have a conference, we need to serve some of that solidarity cake. In fact, it should be the first recipe in the recipe book...

Anonymous said...

I lost my first post trying to check my links. So much for my attempt to be helpful. I'll posted several suggestions for retreat centers within an easy drive of Houston (because that's what I know) over at my place. I have experience with grant writing and researching foundations. I've also taken a class in it, and I'm on disability leave and have no kids. Can I help, can I, huh, can I?

Psalmist said...

Oh, I hope I can make it! At least if it's in Texas, I have a chance.

I'd be a little afraid to let PeaceBang get ahold of me, though. [looks at nails -- yep, very afraid]

Unknown said...

Susan, your help would be great.

Jody Harrington said...

Dear Susan--
How wonderful! Thanks for offering to help. Hooray!!!

I'm going to put a post on RGBP as soon as I receive our approval for incorporation. Once that's done I have to file with the Texas Comptroller and also get us a federal tax ID number. Then I'll be filing an application for approval from the IRS for 501-c-3 status. Once we have that, we're ready to apply for grants!

I'll be keeping everyone posted. I'm not sure what the timeline will be--but hope we have all our ducks in a row in two to three months.

But meanwhile you can be gathering ideas for a retreat site and ideas for grant applications. Go for it!

Anonymous said...

momentarily de-lurking to suggest Turner Falls...'cos it's right down the road from me! Ok, it's not a spa, but a little "dirt don't hurt"! :)

spookyrach said...

Well, I'm a little late for the party, but this sounds exciting. I can't wait to be able to say "I knew 'em when..." after you make national news and hit the way-all-big time and start appearing on talk shows with Bono and maybe Bill Moyers.

Hmmm... Think I need an RGBP-Official Sidekick T-Shirt.

Congrats on your wedding plans. You are a marvel of organization!