Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Mom of Presbytery?


Some of my regular readers are aware that I currently serve on the General Council of my presbytery (New Covenant). A couple of weeks ago, I received a call from the chair of the Presbytery's Nominating Committee asking me to agree to nomination as Moderator-Elect--for the year 2008. This despite the fact that he told me he read this blog--and proved it by asking me some questions about posts that were long buried in the archives! Under our presbytery structure, that means I would serve as Moderator of General Council in 2007 and then become Moderator of Presbytery the following year.

Here are some of the things that I pondered as I made this decision.

By 2008 the denomination could be coming apart at the seams. Or not. The New Wineskins group appears to be morphing into an alternative denominational structure. It's not clear what the future holds for the newly formed Presbyterian Global Fellowship that has its first conference later this month. Is a major schism brewing? If so, we could have a nasty mess on our hands by 2008.

We have yet to see the first disciplinary case challenging an ordination in which a "scruple" was declared pursuant to the AI passed at GA. The facts of that hypothetical case and its final disposition by the GAPJC could become the flashpoint. That would put me personally, and as Moderator, in a very difficult position. Conversely, if the outcome of such a case were the enforcement of the consititution, then the disappointment of those who seek changes in ordination standards would present other issues.

New Covenant presbytery is moderately conservative. It has not been overly preoccupied with the doings on the national scene, but instead concentrates on planting new churches in the rapidly growing areas of the Houston metro and Bryan/College Station and encouraging existing churches to foster growth in membership.

The leadership has focused on bringing in nationally known experts on evangelism and church development and re-development like Glenn McDonald to speak at meetings and has offered a number of excellent training opportunities for ministers and laypeople alike. I think this emphasis is very important. If we can't look forward with confidence to the future of the church, we might as well pack it all up right now and save ourselves a lot of aggravation. We need to focus on evangelism, new church development and growth in exisiting churches.

A few years ago there was some distrust of the presbytery leadership but those attitudes are changing because a lot of people have worked hard to change that perception. I was one of those skeptics, but have been convinced there is a change of focus and attitude in the presbytery. Still, distrust of the denomination and the national staff and its policies persists, and I share some of those feelings. At this time I am not aware of any church in the presbytery seeking dismissal from the PCUSA, but events could change that. I hope New Covenant presbytery can model a new way for Presbyterians to relate to each other, even in times of crisis.

Conservatives have been urging each other to get involved in denominational governance at every level, so when I was asked to serve on General Council I agreed to do it. I don't think it's time to leave yet. There were several positive things that came out of the last General Assembly from the evangelicals' viewpoint. The PCUSA will never be perfect and neither will any new denomination that may spin off from it. So long as imperfect sinful people strive to follow Jesus there will be shortcomings. Heck, even I make mistakes!

I'm not a theologian or a minister. I'm a "cradle" Presbyterian laywoman who cherishes her heritage going back 6 generations to Scotland on one side of my family. I believe traditional Presbyterian theology and polity provide an important witness to the Church Universal with its emphasis on the soverignty of God, the authority of scripture, justification by grace through faith and the priesthood of all believers. I don't think that God is through with the PCUSA yet. I think if I want to preserve this heritage for my posterity, it is time to put up or shut up. So I'm putting up. I said yes.

So if elected, would that make me Mom of Presbytery?

P.S. El Jefe agreed to be nominated for a 6 year term on the Presbytery Permanent Judicial Commission.

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bravo - that is good news.

(And here they thought you were joking with the Mom of the PC(USA) threat . . . )

I know it is a potentially difficult time in the life of the PC(USA), and that agreeing to this is an act of courage -- there is, no doubt, a strong temptation to run the other way. But this is precisely the time that we need involvement and good, clear-headed leadership. Who knows, maybe your experiences have been preparing you "for such a time as this".

Glad to hear 'El Jefe' agreed to the PJC nomination as well.

Jody Harrington said...

I WAS joking about the Mom of the PCUSA threat. But God seems to have turned that joke back on me!

zorra said...

I'm speechless.
That is great news for the Presbytery.
Prayers all around.

Anonymous said...

Another presbytery is starting to come around...

San Diego, Mississippi and now New Covenant! This may seem small, but evidently God is well pleased to work from the seemingly insignificant events toward magnificent deeds for the church.

You do your part to keep New Covenant steady and growing and your colleagues over here in Mission Presbytery will do our best to follow your lead.

Let's get to work!

reverendmother said...

Congratulations to you, and good on them!

"For such a time as this..." you have been called.

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

What Rev.Mother said! Blessing to you, and prayers going up for you!

Anonymous said...

I endorsed your nomination with the committee. I feel you have the gifts and skills to be a great moderator even in times of uncertainty and/or conflict. I think the presbytery is doing well because we know that the current "issues" facing us have little to do with the massive inadequacies of most of our congregations in "making disciples."

I am convinced that if we keep our focus on our mission, then, in God's time, we'll see a reconciliation around the issues that divide us. But our focus needs to be on Christ ... not structure or polity, not "winning" or "losing".
Congrats on the nomination ... God will use you in great ways in this presbytery and the larger community.

Unknown said...

Do we start calling moderator or mom of the Presbytery? If anyone can see it through these difficult times, and help it keep its focus,I believe you can.

Gannet Girl said...

Congratulations on having reached an excellent decision! It seems that you and I will often find ourselves on opposite sides of some of the issues facing our denomination, but I, too, think that you have the gifts and skills to be a terrific moderator.

Anonymous said...

I offer you my prayers for strength, courage, and wisdom during your service, and congratulations as well! Even though I'm sure we disagree on certain things, I think your faithfulness, your training, and your love will serve your presbytery well. I thought that before your meditation on your decision, but find it confrimed after reading it. Peace to you and El Jefe both...

Stushie said...

I can understand your concerns about the denomination. Here's what I put on my blog today...

1 Corinthians 8: 3 But the man who loves God is known by God.

Our denomination has taken a severe battering over the last year. In 2005, our denominational membership declined by over 48,000 people. Sadly, it is a record amount for any one year in recent times and doesn’t bode well for the future. Since 1995, the denomination has lost 13% of its membership. At Erin, we have grown by 14%, which means that we are 27% ahead of national trends.

Now I know that you can make statistics mean anything, but when the difference is over 25%, it must mean that we are doing something different, more positive and more relevant than the national church. Personally, I think it’s because we truly love God here at Erin, which means that we are known by Him and blessed by Him. I’m not so sure about the denomination.

I’m going to a conference next week in Atlanta where pastors from growing churches in the denomination are going to brainstorm ideas and develop strategies that may enable us to turn things around. I don’t want to see the denomination decline. Presbyterians traditionally produce great thinkers and spiritual leaders who enhance, edify and empower their communities to spread the gospel, support missions, and serve Christ. If our church can be part of a new movement that will stop our national membership declining, then I want Erin to be actively doing its share.

If God is blessing us with growth, then we must be doing something right that declining Presbyterian churches around us can benefit from. Preaching the Gospel, praising God’s Name, and professing Christ as Savior are at the heart of everything we do. If we can encourage other Presbyterians to do the same, perhaps this national decline will reverse and God will multiply all our churches.

Prayer: Father God, forgive us for failing to grow and for fighting amongst ourselves. Pardon us for forgetting who we are and to Whom we belong. Help us to cast aside needless divisions and heedless rivalries. Create within us a clean heart, so that we may serve You faithfully and love You sincerely. In Jesus’ Name, we pray. Amen.

Anonymous said...

I'm not in your Presbytery, but I agree with Gannet Girl. It is far less important to agree than to understand how disagreement becomes distructive.

I think it is high time that we remembered that the real power in this denomination rests with the Presbytery. Let's use that power to focus on igniting a real passion for God, his love and his service; for recognizing the need for humility and sorrow in the face of sin; and focusing on a humble recognition of our utter dependence on God's grace.

Oh, and I'm a flaming liberal.
Let Congress take care of themselves. Quotidian Grace for Mom of PCUSA!

Elaine
Norman, OK

Anonymous said...

I was actually thinking that, "QG for Mom of Presbytery!" Woo hoo!

God has called you, Grace. He will not fail you. Nor will he fail the Presbytery or PCUSA...in part, because he has called YOU.

Unknown said...

I don't think they could have chosen better. Blessings to you as you face the challenges ahead.

opinionated said...

Mom of Presbytery good training for Mom of Congress!

Your legal background will be important in this position.

Anonymous said...

Dear "Grace"

Thanks for accepting the call. Thanks to our NomComm for a great choice. We have a healthy, growing presbytery. Your service as our moderator will contribute to the positive spirit here.

Jules said...

Count me among the 'Flaming Liberals for Grace'!

St. Inuksuk said...

Blessings upon you, QG! God calls and we respond sometimes eagerly, sometimes with trepidition, but always knowing God goes before us and gives us grace sufficient. May God's Spirit empower you to use your many wonderful gifts. I believe you are a blessing and will be a blessing to your Presbytery and to all the church.

Anonymous said...

QG, I think you'll do a wonderful job of living up to the title of "moderator", i.e, one who moderates things when things gets a little heated.

And if that doesn't work, sending the EP to bed without supper might be a good place to start!

(BTW, one of my people has been nominated for vice moderator this year, which means in a year he'll be moderator. Between he and QG, we're taking over...)

Michael Kruse said...

Very cool! As soon as you are done there in the presbytery I vote you move to the GAC and become MOM of the GAC. Lord knows we need one.

Unknown said...

I vote you move to the GAC and become MOM of the GAC

Hey Mike -- if she did that, then you might have to behave. Are you up to that?

Seriously, it's great when people say "yes".

Becky Ardell Downs said...

I'm another liberal in favor of the nomination. go for it, QG. Hope to be there soon. Just don't compare us to San Diego (eesh-)