Monday, March 24, 2008

The Tour de Showers


This weekend was aptly named "The Tour de Showers" by St. Betty's daughter, the lovely and witty Jane Long.Portia's friend, Queenie, was here for Easter with her fiance' Doc (my nephew), and with their wedding looming early in June this was the opportunity for the Texas relatives to put on the dog. So to speak.

The Tour began Friday evening with Portia's lingerie shower for Queenie and friends at a local Italian restaurant. We had a lovely private room that featured a classical Roman-style bas-relief on the wall which was soon adorned with all manner of fancy undies, much to the glee of the waiters.

Saturday afternoon several of SIL's friends hosted another shower in a home. The refreshments were dainty and delicious, the presents were plentiful, and best of all, two of SIL's childhood friends drove down from the Dallas area for the day to attend! That was truly awesome. For those of you who aren't familiar with Texas distances, that means they put in about 10 hours in the car that day. That's friendship, isn't it?

That evening we gathered at the home of my SIL and BIL for hamburgers and all the fixin's. Beatrice and Olivia got to come, too, to the great delight of all the little cousins. So the next day after attending Easter services (FAB music!), and brunch with a big group of friends, everyone Chez QG collapsed in a post-shower heap. Except for DK who spent the rest of the afternoon playing tennis, and El Jefe who was glued to March Madness on TV.

Next weekend Portia and Babs will be attending Queenie's bachelorette party. Some of us old fogey-ettes are wondering when bachelorette parties got started. Clearly getting married these days takes a LOT more stamina than it did in my day.

Stop the Tour, it's time for me to get off!

5 comments:

Lori said...

QG, what amazing family and friends you have. I confess that I read these lovely, lovely experiences with selfish, sad longing. I know you likely appreciate the sweetness of your "tribe". It gives me hope for my son, when he grows up and marries (I tell him to find a girl with a family just like yours).

Gannet Girl said...

Yes, you do have an amazingly wonderful family!

Mark said...

I officiated at my niece's wedding in Arlington last month. The service was less than an hour, and I was about to melt in exhaustion by the end of the reception.

With all your crazy goings-on, I'm surprised you had the energy to write your blog.

Jody Harrington said...

I am truly blessed with wonderful family and friends. I didn't grow up with that in my own family, so I appreciate it all the more!

And yes, finding time to blog has been difficult. Thank God for You Tube!

Anonymous said...

your family sounds wonderful :) maybe my TS will be lucky enough to marry into such a family some day (and DD too)