Thursday, July 05, 2007

Next RevGalBookPals Selection


Dear Readers:
I'm cross-posting this post from RevGalBlogPals. You don't have to be a member of RGBP to read the b
ook and comment on the discussion I'm hosting on that blog July 25. Join us!

QG’s TOP TEN REASONS FOR READING
A VISION OF LIGHT by Judith Merkle Riley

10. You need a book to read on vacation that is diverting, but not ploddingly predictable or a bodice ripper that you will want to hide from the children or the disapproving gaze of your in-laws.

9. It was written by a professor of political science, but is NOT about politics.

8. Historical fiction depicting women with appropriate sensibilities to the era of the novel is hard to find. There’s no “ Gwynth plead with her father for a suit of armor so she could joust like her brother Garth” type stuff in this book. That sort of thing makes QG toss a book away in disgust.

7. Margaret of Asbury is one of the best characters in modern historical fiction—she’s complex, charming and intriguing.

6. God makes an appearance (or two or three) in the story.

5. If you thought your ex-husband or ex-boyfriend were Bad News, read about Margaret’s First Husband From Hell and be comforted.

4. One of the themes of the book is the power of knowledge and the importance of reading and writing.

3. A second theme is the ways in which the church of the Middle Ages failed to meet the spiritual needs of the people.

2. The most important theme is the ways in which God can choose an ordinary person, like Margaret, to heal people injured in body and spirit.

And the number 1 reason to read A VISION OF LIGHT is:

It’s the topic for the RevGalBookPals discussion on July 25 and you still have time to order it from the RevGals Amazon store, read it and join our discussion that day!

8 comments:

Cathy said...

I am really looking forward to reading this book! Count me in!

Rev Kim said...

Ooh, this sounds right up my alley. I love historical fiction! I haven't read the other Margaret of Asbury novels. Do I need to read those first to get the most out of this one?

Jody Harrington said...

No, Vision of Light is the first novel in the trilogy.

Rev Kim said...

*conking myself on the forehead*
yes, if I had read the publish dates next to the other selections I could've figured that out...

Thanks! Book ordered!

Lori said...

*conking myself on forehead with cast iron pan*

I'm still "Walking the Bible". I read fast and I can't keep up with y'all. Well, that and having 16 hours of chores and work in a day. ~dialing Evelyn Wood~

Jan said...

I'll try it. Thanks.

St. Casserole said...

sounds good, thanks for the additional info about it because I can be picky.

Mary Beth said...

I'm about halfway through and I LOVE it! :)