Monday, October 29, 2007

My Favorite Longhorn


Saturday, El Jefe, Babs and I traveled to Austin with our good friend "Dr. O" to see his son Chris Ogbonnaya (#3!) play for the UT Longhorns in their game vs. Nebraska. It was perfect football weather and we had a wonderful time getting a chance to sit in the "parents' section" on the 50 yard line. The Longhorns made the game a bit TOO exciting until the last quarter when they scored 3 touchdowns to get the win.

After the game, we got a chance to visit with Chris and one of the Longhorn Moms snapped this photo for us.

We've known Chris since he was about 3 years old and we all met at church. His two older sisters were close friends of Portia and Babs and occasionally Chris used to come along with them to swim in our pool or play. El Jefe would teach him to shoot baskets or play softball and spotted his athletic talent early on.

Dr. O told us Chris was nominated by the coach for Academic All-American. He is a history major and plans to go to business or law school after he graduates. He's a winner to us, whether or not he is given that award. We're so proud of the outstanding young man Chris has become.

And by the way, he was also a youth elder in high school.

5 comments:

spookyrach said...

It was a pretty good football weekend, wasn't it? Love the photo!

Rev Kim said...

Yes, UT made that a bit too exciting, but yay, they came through!

And now for a message from Newman, the Catahoula, to Beatrice the Bold Puppy:

Dear Beatrice,

I'm sorry that I'm just now responding to your request to be interviewed! My humans have been busy, out-of-town, and then there were computer problems. But here, at long last, are your interview questions. Go here to find the instructions. And now, without further ado,

1. What is your typical daily routine?

2. Do you have a favorite toy?

3. I hear my humans talking sometimes about "the Great Ends of the Church." What are "the Great Ends of the Dachshund?"

4. We have something in common. We are both named after famous people - me after a famous man with beautiful blue eyes who has been in movies, races cars, and makes food products. I'm named after him because I'm told I also have beautiful blue eyes. Do you have anything in common with the famous person after whom you're named?

5. What do you love most about your new family?

Thanks for playing!

Lori said...

I am not a big sports fan, but I sure love that picture!

reverendmother said...

El Jefe looks very distinguished in that buttoned-down Texas style.

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

I love knowing about good athletes...people who should be looked up to!