Monday, October 22, 2007

The Nun Run and Other News

QG tries to keep faithful readers abreast of the latest religious developments in the greater Houston area. Thankfully, this time I don't have anything to report on the Lakewood Church front because the Co-pastors Osteen are out of town on a book tour.

So here's what's up lately:

Best religious news story of the week
: Nuns and bikers joined together in the 3rd annual Nun Run to raise $100,000 for a local clinic that serves needy families in the Houston area.

According to the Houston Chronicle, 19 nuns hopped aboard motorcycle sidecars along with 250 bikers to make the 50 mile ride from their convent in Houston to Galveston Island.

You've gotta love Sister Deenan Hubbard, who was sporting a temporary rose tatoo on her arm for the journey! Go, sisters.

First Texas Cardinal: Archbishop Daniel DiNardo of the Galveston-Houston Archdiocese was appointed the first cardinal from Texas by Pope Benedict XVI last week. Inquiring minds want to know if the Vatican will let him wear a cowboy hat instead of the galero?

Gilgamesh Read-In At Ecumenical Chapel: Houston Mayor Bill White will join controversial oil magnate Oscar Wyatt, long-time liberal political activist Sissy Farenthold, and a couple of local politicos at the Rothko Chapel to for a read-in of the entire Mesopotamian epic, Gilgamesh. What a motley crew! This event is in connection with promotion of a new English version of the epic, the original of which is thought to have been lost in the fall of the Ninevah. I guess they didn't listen to Jonah after all.

7 comments:

zorra said...

The Scientist wants to go to the Gilgamesh reading. I'm not sure I can hang in there all evening...first the lecture, which will be right up his alley...but the reading itself doesn't start until 8:30...But seeing that assortment of dignitaries in the same room will probably be worth staying up way past my bedtime.

Gannet Girl said...

I don't know if ths makes me a total geek or what, but I love the idea of a Gilgamesh reading!

little david said...

Thanks for the news, QG. I will have to remember these for the church history class I am teaching when we get to the beginning of the 21st century.

will said...

I would also love the Giglgamesh reading. Not sure I would like the lecture, though - depends on how accurate, and how many leaps are made in the absence of information.

Not being familiar with TX politics, I take it the politicos spark controversy?

Jody Harrington said...

Will,

I don't know why the politicos were included, to tell the truth. Maybe to get attention on the event? It struck me as odd.

spookyrach said...

religion and Texas are alway odd when mixed.

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

I love the story about that nuns!