Wednesday, January 30, 2008

A Desk of One's Own

Faithful readers know that QG is not exactly a shrinking violet. How is it then that the entire time (20 years) we've lived in this house I have not had my own desk?

El Jefe has a whole study of his own, complete with desk, printer/scanner/fax with dedicated phone line, giant monitor and bookshelves so he can work at home. Which he does several hours every day.

Moi, on the other hand, produced countless reports, memos, adult Sunday school lessons, and all the household accounts on the kitchen table or the little built-in desk in the kitchen. My office supplies and a plastic portable file holder are stuffed into a little closet.

So this weekend I'm with my SIL in a furniture store and there's a sale. And a pretty little desk that will fit either into El Jefe's study ( El Jefe makes a frowny face here) or our bedroom (El Jefe makes a happy face here). There was a nice chair and desk lamp with it on the floor display. It called my name. So I bought it. All!

Babs wonders why I don't use the computer desk upstairs. Because it is in the family room with the big TV and everyone who watches TV up there likes to use it to check their email or surf the web, that's why. It's not just mine.

The desk should come in about 30 days, and though it's not a room of my own, I'll settle for a desk. About time, too.

10 comments:

spookyrach said...

Cool!

Rev Kim said...

It's wonderful when there's the perfect aligning of something calling your name that's also on sale! Hope you post a picture when arrives and you have it all set up.

Reformed Catholic said...

Everyone should have a place they could call their own. FWIW ... my wife couldn't find any room on my desk even if she wanted to. She has her own desk set in her own area. Of course, her furniture cost alot more than mine, primarily because her's is on the first floor where people can see it, and mine ... well, lets just say when we have people staying over that room is closed and locked.

Can you say major packrat !!!

Lori said...

That is great! Good for you for getting it all. Very cool

Pictures of the final set up, please.

Sue said...

Yes, definitely post pics of the final set up.

Lori said...

Oh, and PS, I just tagged you. Just because it's books.

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

You should have had a desk long ago!

We wanna see it set up!

Jules said...

Spouse and I have twins desks in our office. Of course his computer is faster and smarter than mine and can mow the lawn and make french toast, but our desks are matching!

DannyG said...

(J) got me a roll-top oak desk for our anniversary 12 yrs ago. It's just wonderful to have your own place to read and write and file.

Jody Harrington said...

The roll-top desk sounds very cool, dannyg.

Since y'all asked, I'll post pictures when it's all set up. Which should be in about a month, according to the furniture store.