Monday, January 21, 2008

Reading Challenge 2008-- Post 3

I finished Barbara Pym's Excellent Women, which I read after seeing Songbird's post about Barbara Pym, who was new to me. It is sort of Jane Austen-ish, but not as witty to my way of thinking. I did enjoy it and am reading Jane and Prudence by the same author. The books are good for reading on dreary cold English-type days with a cup of coffee or tea and a "biscuit" or two.
Since I'm reading Bible in 90 Days, I'm going to count the books of the Bible that I finish for the reading challenge. They are separate books, after all! So far, that is Genesis and Exodus. Every time I do this I find something new or get different reactions from the other participants. This time my group all went " EWWWWW" over the story of Lot and his daughters in Genesis. Yeah. Know what you mean. In Exodus, I noticed a passage where Moses tells the people not to bring any more offerings for the bulding of the tabernacle because they are "bringing more than enough." (Exodus 36:5) When was the last time that happened in your church? That's what I thought: the 12th of Never.

On to Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy this week. I'm also still working on Dallas Willard's Divine Conspiracy, too.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad you gave Pym a try! Will you at least say she's more witty than the author of Leviticus?
Heeheehee.

Jody Harrington said...

Waay wittier!

Just finished Leviticus and happened to tune into Paula Dean who was cooking oxtails. Couldn't help thinking about the instructions about how to burn the fat around the tail of the calf so the aroma would be "pleasing to the Lord"!

opinionated said...

I have a collection of Barbara Pym dating back 20+ years when I first got interested in her. Can't really remember what I thought I liked! My all-time preference is D. E. Stevenson. Here lately I've been reduced to re-reading Harry Potter.