Thursday, January 31, 2008

Tagged for New Book Meme

Presbyterian Gal tagged me for this one!

Which book do you irrationally cringe away from reading, despite seeing only positive reviews?

Actually, the rational me should have cringed away from reading Eat, Love, Pray, but I didn't and we all know how that worked out.

If you could bring three characters to life for a social event (afternoon tea, a night of clubbing, perhaps a world cruise), who would they be and what would the event be?

I'm assuming the question means "fictional characters." I'd have a lovely afternoon tea with Elizabeth Barrett (Pride and Prejudice); Maisie Dobbs and Precious Ramotswe . The tea would be good Indian or Earl Grey for Elizabeth and Maisie, but we would be sure to have bush tea for Precious. And lots of cake, since she is "traditionally built". As for me, pass the Starbucks.

(Borrowing shamelessly from the Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforde): you are told you can't die until you read the most boring novel on the planet. While this immortality is great for awhile, eventually you realise it's past time to die. Which book would you expect to get you a nice grave?

Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts. DK and Portia raved about it and loaned me their copy. I got about half way through it before abandoning it. And usually we have very similar tastes in books. I thought this was boring with a capital B.

Come on, we've all been there. Which book have you pretended, or at least hinted, that you've read, when in fact you've been nowhere near it?

Institutes of the Christian Religion by John Calvin. ~bows head in shame~

As an addition to the last question, has there been a book that you really thought you had read, only to realise when you read a review about it/go to 'reread' it that you haven't? Which book?

There's been more than one, and they were all forgettable historical novels. Too forgettable, apparently!

You've been appointed Book Advisor to a VIP (who's not a big reader). What's the first book you'd recommend and why? (if you feel like you'd have to know the person, go ahead of personalise the VIP)

I'll choose Aayan Hirsi Ali (author of Infidel and former member of the Dutch parliament). She is very well-read, so maybe this cheating a bit. But I would like for her to read the Gospel of Luke, with an open heart and mind, because I think she is still seeking God.

A good fairy comes and grants you one wish: you will have perfect reading comprehension in the foreign language of your choice. Which language do you go with?

As a devoted Anglophile, this is a really tough question because to me English is the premier language of literature. I do like Russian literature however, so I would choose Russian so I could find out how many nicknames each of the characters REALLY has.

A mischievious fairy comes and says that you must choose one book that you will reread once a year for the rest of your life (you can read other books as well). Which book would you pick?

Dakota, A Spiritual Geography by Kathleen Norris.

I know that the book blogging community, and its various challenges, have pushed my reading borders. What's one bookish thing you 'discovered' from book blogging (maybe a new genre, or author, or new appreciation for cover art-anything)?

I didn't know there was a subset of the mystery/detective genre that involved women ministers as detectives until I read about them on several RevGals blogs. I read a few of them but found them so-so.

That good fairy is back for one final visit. Now, she's granting you your dream library! Describe it. Is everything leatherbound? Is it full of first edition hardcovers? Pristine trade paperbacks? Perhaps a few favorite authors have inscribed their works? Go ahead-let your imagination run free.

My dream library would be full of hardback books. They don't have to be leather-bound, they can be cloth-bound. It would have a very large university library style desk in the middle with excellent lighting overhead. There would be a large window overlooking an exquisite garden. A window seat would be built into the window with a very comfortable cushion and pillows. Did I mention the houseboy that would bring me refreshments when I rang a bell?

TAG TIME: Gannet Girl (because she needs an excuse to take a break from her seminary studies); BesoMami (she of the Reading Challenge 2008); Toby Brown (to see what he's read that was published after 1750--just kidding, Toby!); zorra (a reeely big reader) and anyone else who wants to play.

5 comments:

DannyG said...

As to Queston #1: Jack Ryan, Tarzan of the Apes, and Lancelot du lac for a week of hunting/fishing/cards in a cabin on a lake in Northern New England (float plane access only).

As to the last question, I think Mr Jefferson got it pretty much right as far as location and architecture. Just add 2 centuries more of classic books and we are good to go!

Lori said...

Great play!
LOL at Institutes of the Christian Religion. And Russian! Very cool. I wonder if War and Peace is even thicker in Russian.

And, I believe that your houseboy parties with my staff on their days off.

zorra said...

Hmmm! This will take some thought. Maybe I'll do this instead of the Friday Five. Thanks for the tag!

Gannet Girl said...

Oh, this is a tough one! And you've already taken Eat Pray Love as one of the worst books ever published and Dakota as one of the best. And I'm afraid I won't be nearly as entertaining as Presby Gal with her love for Accounting Practices and Grey's Anatomy. But I'll give it a shot this week-end.

Ad btw, you should google Brigid. I bet you'd really like her!

Mary J DuVal said...

I feel better now because I keep resisting my inclinations to read "Eat, Pray, Love"! "Dakota" is one of my all-time favorites as well, but I haven't thought about it in awhile...maybe it's time for a re-read.