Thursday, May 20, 2010

Crabs in Springtime

In spring El Jefe's thoughts lightly turn to thoughts of...(sorry Tennyson!)...soft shelled crabs.

This year his favorite version was found at a local Italian restaurant.

My friend Recovering Baptist recently Facebooked (that's a verb now isn't it?) about cooking some at home, so I'm inspired to scour the local Whole Foods and HEB fish markets looking for some myself.

The trick is NOT to treat them like hard shelled crabs and boil or steam them. You must fry or saute them so they are crispy on the outside and juicy and delicious on the inside. You could eat it Cajun style inside a bun or sandwich but I say why muck up the flavor with bread?

There are lots of favorite spring seasonal foods: what's yours?

2 comments:

stinuksuk said...

Favorite Spring Food? Gotta be asparagus! Preferrably, steamed.

LeahW said...

New potatoes together with fresh peas from my garden.