Friday, March 02, 2007

Best Laid Plans Department


Happy Texas Independence Day, gentle readers! (Animated flag thanks to www.3dflags.com)

El Jefe and I planned to celebrate with a mini-tour of the state this weekend. We started in Austin yesterday where we attended a big dinner honoring one of his clients at the Texas State History Museum. This is a gorgeous museum, right near the Texas Capitol building. The dinner benefited the museum and attracted lot of politicians and "bidness" people. At the end of the dinner we all sang "Texas Our Texas", though I must say I was distressed to note that I was one of the few who knew our state song.

But alas, the cold El Jefe developed yesterday morning turned into full-blown flu and fever early this morning, so we had to cancel the rest of our trip with the Civil War Aficianados to Hillsboro and Fort Worth to see the Civil War museums and visit with some fun people. Reluctantly we headed home where El Jefe is now fast asleep and I am back from the store fully stocked with videos to amuse us with and stuff to make him feel better. Then I called SIL and found she and BIL and Dutch are all sick, too.

Nurse QG is being paged, so until I get back to the blog you can celebrate Texas Independence Day by practicing Texas Our Texas.

5 comments:

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

Well drats! I hope that he gets to feeling better soon!

Lori said...

Bummer! So sorry El Jefe is under the weather. But sounds like he has a cheerful nurse to aid and comfort him.

Embarrassed to admit that I didn't know states had songs. Fortunately though I already know 'California Dreamin'. (that is ours, isn't it?).

Unknown said...

I'm sorry to hear El Jefe is under the weather. Best wishes for a quick recovery.

zorra said...

El Jefe, get well soon!

Mary Beth said...

I know how to sing "Texas, Our Texas" only because:

when the Aggies are outscored at a game (they NEVER "lose") the fans stay in the stands for a yell practice, and one of the things they do at THAT sort of yell practice is to sing that song.

Note that in winning seasons they rarely get to sing it. I am one of a generation of Aggies who learned it during the losing football seasons of 1983-84, before they started winning BIG. Those youngsters don't know nothing.