Friday, March 09, 2007

Friday Five: A Matter of Taste

The RevGals Friday Five game today is about matters of taste and was brought to us by Songbird.

Name five things you like a lot that some close relative or significant other did/does not like. This could be food, movies, hobbies, music, sports or whatever springs to mind.

Here are my answers:

1. Classical Music. My dad was a big opera and classical music buff and I inherited his prejudices in this area. Plus I love to sing the stuff. El Jefe is tone deaf and prefers traditional country western tunes and John Denver. He is sweet enough to encourage my participation in church choirs and to attend the occasional concert, however.



2. Okra and Brussels sprouts. I like them. The rest of the family loathes them so I only get them in a restaurant.



3. Sewing and Quilting. My sister and I inherited my mother's love of sewing and learned from her. But I could never interest Portia and Babs in the craft and they still tease me about making them to to fabric stores with me. I don't do it much anymore as blogging has become a primary hobby for me.



4. San Antonio Fiesta Dresses. You'd have to be from San Antonio or South Texas to really understand this one, but I'll try to explain. Every spring San Antonio celebrates the Battle of San Jacinto where the Texian Army defeated Santa Anna and gained Texas independence during the week of April 26, the date of the battle. Everyone wears "Fiesta dresses" which are Mexican folk art inspired bright embroidered outfits that truly embarrass your daughters. Portia and Babs HATE them. I love them and the memories they have for me of cracking heads with cascarones (eggshells stuffed with confetti) and partying.


5. Miami Ink. I thought about giving you some B.S. about how this reality tv show is about man's search for meaning and permanence. But hey, I might as well admit it's my guilty TV pleasure and El Jefe is absolutely APPALLED by it.

11 comments:

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

Fiesta dresses were really in style years ago. I look like a big ole ballon in them!

Unknown said...

Not the tattoo show!!! You have really shocked me!

Jody Harrington said...

Whoa, now I'm ashamed. I didn't think Songbird would be shocked by much of anything ;-)

I can't really explain why that show fascinates me, either. Tattoos are really repugnant to me and I don't get the current fad for them. I think they're awful on the young and worse than awful on the old.I've been shocked that a couple of my daughter's girlfriends have them.

Watching Miami Ink is like being an anthropologist watching a native sub-culture, I guess. But it hasn't made me sympathetic to it yet.

Sr. Heather said...

:-) I'm having a blast seeing these revelations of "guilty pleasures" this Friday. What fun!

LutheranChik said...

Brussels sprouts rock.

Sally said...

love the pics- and being a brit- love brussel sprouts- those fiesta dresses look great fun...

QuakerPastor said...

Interesting...
Love the pics!
Good play.
QP

Lori said...

Great pictures! I'm still in mourning over the death of my sewing machine. And I would have never, ever ever figured you for Miami Ink. I watched just a teensy bit once, but being needle phobic had to pass.

Anonymous said...

I adore Mexican dresses. A staple of my growing up years in Houston.

Pink Shoes said...

If we ever share a meal, I'll join you in the sprout fest. Love 'em.

Anonymous said...

The 'cascarones' sound like fun!

I, too, like brussels sprouts...and have found really good recipes that have led other members of my family to like them as well...sometimes, it's just how you cook 'em that makes the difference. I also love fried okra!