Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Ode to the Sweet Sixteen


Now I would have laid me down to sleep,
But El Jefe's watch o'er the Sweet 16 did keep
Me awake through half the night.
QG did lose the TV fight.

"Oh, Pet", he said: "Just a minute more
I'll turn it off and you can snore."
They jump, they pass, they steal, they score.
The crowd goes wild and screams for more.

The game is over but not the night.
El Jefe is a pathetic sight!
Hunched o'er the computer, eager as can be
To see how he's faring at Bracketology.

Competitive juices are running amok.
El Jefe is having remarkable luck.
In the top 91% is he,
Ahead of the former ESPN reporter from TV.

"Next year," he vows, "no more of this for me
It's ruining my fun. I'm stressed as can be.
Rooting for teams I don't care about to help my score,
I really can't do this anymore."

QG listens with a cyncial smile.
That quote enters the Sports Widow's File
Of promises made but seldom kept--
And wearily to her bed has crept.

Now I lay me down to sleep.
Oh, dear Lord, my mouth please keep
From nagging, and remind me that the reason
Is I'm looking forward to BASEBALL season!

3 comments:

Lori said...

*chortle*, This is funny stuff! I'll bet lots and lots can identify with your plight!! I can see a bright side: if law doesn't work out for El Jefe, he has a career in sports analysis!!

Rev Dave said...

I drive my lovely wife crazy by playing "beat the announcer" during game after game. It's simple, really, if you can beat the announcer to a sports cliche before it's said, you get a point. "This is a crucial a possesion for..." "Nothing but net" etc.

Anonymous said...

Cute! I definitely know the feeling, though D isn't do quite as well as Dad in the bracket race.