Friday, June 01, 2007

Quick Impressions of Ireland

I'm planning to do some posting on our trip (yes, with photos!) on several topics over the next couple of weeks. Until then, here are some quick thoughts on our trip.

~The QG family does not handle jet lag well despite taking Ambien, drinking lots of water and following all the advice we get from well-traveled friends. We do fine flying home, but it seems to take us 3 days to recover when we fly east. This trip was no exception. Man (and woman) were not meant to cross several time zones in a few hours!

~Ireland is indeed green, green, green. See my photo taken at Galway Bay at left. This was not photo-shopped!

~A tourist would be forgiven for thinking that Ireland is an island of golf courses floating on a sea of Guiness Stout and Jameson Whiskey with more sheep than people. In fact I suggest the national anthem should be Bach's "Sheep May Safely Graze."

~The Irish people are incredibly welcoming and helpful to random tourists like ourselves. But the fact that the streets change names almost every block and there are very few street signs makes for confusion and frustration when trying to follow a map.

~Ireland was having its national election while we were there. El Jefe tried hard to get a grip on the issues by reading the local newspapers, but failed.

~Huge cranes litter the Dublin landscape as there is a tremendous building boom, fueled by the fact that Ireland is a member of the EU and has an educated work force that speaks English, the international language of business.

~The Taoiseach is the head of government (like a Prime Minister). This is pronounced Tea-Shock, a Celtic word meaning "chieftan." There was some kind of financial scandal surrounding the incumbent that was reminiscent of American politics. You had your Clintonesque head of state (Bernie Ahern, the longtime Taoiseach), your foreign influence peddler (a Brit in this case), your financial funny business and much posturing on all sides with the Irish press having a field day in the middle of it all. And the Irish people, like Americans, were utterly bored by all the fuss.

~The official language of Ireland is Irish Celtic and you see it everywhere. It's completely unrecognizable to those of us who are familiar with Germanic and Latin-based languages. Think Tolkein's Elvish and you get the idea. Babs learned that the Irish version of her real name is Sinead!

~Ireland is the most homogeneous population that I remember seeing anywhere. There are almost no Africans, Asians, or Arabs in evidence even in the capital city of Dublin. With their membership in the EU, this is going to change and no doubt the Irish Republic will have conflicts between diverse groups.

~As God is my witness, I will never fly tourist class across the Atlantic again. I can't get my long legs stuffed into those seats and was in utter agony by the time we landed. Poor Babs (our "shrimp" at a mere 5'10 1/2") has bruises all over her shins from the flights. El Jefe ( 6'5 1/2") is usually stoic about it, given the cost differential, but this time admitted that he was really miserable, too, and indulged in a major whinefest. Next time I will use those frequent flyer miles and try to upgrade. Thus spake Scarlett O'Grace.

8 comments:

Rev Dave said...

Ireland was a ball for a seminary classmate and I a few years ago. However, I must disagree on the Jameson's and go with the Bushmills. I have a certificate hanging at home proudly declaring me to be an "Official Irish Whisky Taster." Were I brave, I'd hang it in the office at the church and see what happens.

Didya get to see the Chester Beatty Library in Dublin? http://www.cbl.ie/ They have some of the oldest Biblical Manuscripts in existence on display.

Also cool was a inadvertant private tour of Christchurch Cathedral with the vicar after we attended evening prayer with them.

I'll stop bragging now.

Anonymous said...

With their membership in the EU, this is going to change and no doubt the Irish Republic will have conflicts between diverse groups.

Well Ireland (along with the UK) has been part of the EU for a long time now - (even Finland joined in the mid 90s) and so I doubt they'll see much change really.

In the UK most of the non-white immigration was pre-EU and from ex British colonies /Commonwealth days - such as Pakistan and Jamaica. I don't think the EU has affect much - other than short term jobs.

In a weird twist of irony right now we have Finnish would be medics going to med school in Estonia (because we have too few places here) and yet Estonian doctors and nurses coming to work here (short term usually) because we have too few trained nurses and doctors.

go figure :)

Anonymous said...

oh and "I can't get my long legs stuffed into those seats and was in utter agony by the time we landed. " there are some advantages of being petite it seems (grin) but last time I flew TO the USA I saw next to a hugely obsese man from Germany who used 2/3 of my seat as well as his own. That was not pleasant. And he snored !!!

Elaine said...

I feel the inverse of your pain. At 5'0" I am too small for the seats. The lumber support (when it exists) hits me right below my bra strap. The curve forward that is designed for where your neck meets your head, forces my head down towards my chest. If there isn't a foot rail on the seat in front of me, my feet don't reach the ground and my legs swing the entire time -- which is very hard on the knees. The arm rests are too high. My arms have to reach up to meet them.

The airlines just hate all of us.

Elaine
Norman, OK

Lori said...

Oh, Elaine, LOL. QG: I'm introducing my mom to the blog world and we're sitting here enjoying your trip. But the flying part is keeping us both in stitches.

Elaine needs a booster seat next time she flies and you, my dear, need large doses of whatever liquor is featured at your destination.

Gannet Girl said...

That's very green

And yes, I want to know, did you get to see the Book of Kells in Dublin?

Maybe you shouldn;t answer. My envy-o-meter is already sky high.

Jody Harrington said...

GG, we did see the Book of Kells at Dublin University. It was a very nice exhibit and seeing the Book of Kells was one of the main reasons I went to Ireland and it didn't disappoint.

You also get to tour the library there which is very interesting and beautiful--lots of wood paneling and old leather books stacked about 3 stories high on shelves.

St. Inuksuk said...

QG, ohh, you are so right about the streets changing names at every other block or if the street curves slightly. Scotland has the same system!!!
Course, old section of Florence isn't much better just lots of tiny one way streets and some of the street names are carved into the stone buildings and when the sun shines on them, and they have been weathered through the years, and with motorcycles, cars, trucks flying through the streets, it's a miraculous feat to even decipher the name!!
But by God's grace and the Spirit's wondrous GPS, we somehow find our way!!!!!!!!
Glad to hear you enjoyed your vacation - aside from less than stellar sites of interest and uncomfortable coach seating. Why would they make even bigger planes and squish in more seats? I vote for exercise areas on all trans-atlantic and pacific flights!!!!