Sunday, October 16, 2005

I Have An Excuse


Dear God,

Please excuse Quotidian Grace from attending Monday's retreat for the General Council of the presbytery featuring Semi-Famous Church Consultant in yet another visioning exercise.

I have playoff tickets for the Astros vs. Cardinals game tomorrow night and she couldn't come with me if she goes to the retreat tomorrow as scheduled. I've been an Astros fan all my life. After 44 years of having the team break my heart it looks like they could earn a pennant in my home town tomorrow night and I want her to be with me.

She promises to join the retreat Tuesday and Wednesday if you will please excuse her. Pastor Steve has already given her absolution for skipping the meetings on Monday. So what do you say, Heavenly Father? Please?

Very Truly Yours,
El Jefe

11 comments:

Gord said...

Seeing as GOd wants us to have life in abundance and enjoyment. And seeing as some people find watching baseball enjoying (I find it deadly dull but that's just me). And seeing as many people find such retreats and visioning exercises incredibly non-enjoyable (and sometimes they make me wonder about life in abundance).

I would move that God would permit, if not command, the attendance at said Astro's game.

will smama said...

Sweet! Have a blast. I will be rooting for them all the way and think Pettite will be lights out to make up for the 1st game when he pitched with a bad leg.

Unknown said...

I'd say this was a good time to refer to God as "Father."
Have fun!

Anonymous said...

:grin!

Jody Harrington said...

Gord,
Thanks! I'm sure you are right. Also, the chair of the General Council has blessed the excuse. I have to admit that I totally agree with your views on visioning exercises. :-)

reverendmother said...

In the name of Jesus Christ, you are forgiven.

But seriously. As a fellow oft-heartbroken Houstonian, let me say this.

You can sit at a table and answer discussion questions, then record your answers on the various flip charts posted around the room, then spend time chunking those answers into meaningful categories so as to develop a mission statement that bears a curious resemblance to every other mission statement in the church...

Or you can watch history being made.

No. Brainer.

opinionated said...

Since Pastor Steve has given permission, and I did not plan the retreat, there's no problem. Just remember to pay attention to the visions from Me.

Love,
God

will smama said...

2nd inning... I just saw you on tv!!!

Well, I saw someone drinking jalapeno wine in a beer mug with a t-shirt that had the two headed snake and a hat that said Quotidian Grace.

I figured that had to be you.

reverendmother said...

Are you kidding?

She'd better be wearing her RevGalBlogPals T-shirt, or there'll be trouble! :-D

I'm watching as well, while doing some more writing on my preaching article for the journal. Surreal combo.

reverendmother said...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bloody
Hell
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ahem.

will smama said...

it is my fault. i fell asleep.

And RM, you know that what you typed, is NOT what you said... according to your latest meme anyway.

QG - did you make it home?