Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Doing the Turkey Trot

According to the local newspaper, today is the busiest shopping day at the grocery stores all year. I was warned that there would be no canned green beans, pumpkin, cream of mushroom soup, or fried onions. And bottled turkey gravy? No way, no how, no where.

This is not a pleasant thought. What did they expect me to do? Shop several days in advance for Thanksgiving? Apparently so. I put the paper away impatiently and resolved that I would not allow myself to be stressed by this alarmist talk.

Later in the morning, though, the alarmist talk surfaced again as I visited with some of the women in our quilting group. One of them reported shopping at a local grocery store yesterday and said "it was slammed--there were people everywhere and lots of empty shelves." That sounds like something that happens just before a hurricane--not just before a holiday.

When I went to the store a couple of hours later, it was crowded but well stocked. I don't doubt that my friend who found empty shelves told the truth, but I guess the store managed to restock itself quickly.

There were an unusual number of elderly men in that store alone, pushing carts and looking lost and confused. I noticed that most of them were trying to work with a grocery list but weren't familiar with how to find the items on the list in the store. Probably a wife, daughter or daughter-in-law had sent them out to pick up things for the big Thanksgiving dinner.

The alarmist talk was just that. I found everything on my list--including the ingredients for our traditional after-Thanksgiving Day chili. Take THAT alarmist newspaper reporters!

Portia, Portia's boyfriend, and Babs arrive tomorrow from Austin. They'll be put to work helping me get ready. They're even planning to bake pies for me: pecan, pumpkin and dutch apple. I must have done something right! I don't have an exact count for dinner yet--somewhere between 15 and 20 was the last guess. But not to worry. You can't have too many pies on Thanksgiving, can you?

6 comments:

reverendmother said...

Our media do like to track in scarcity, don't they?

Glad you got what you needed. I bought the penultimate bag of pecans at Trader Joe's today, but other than that I can't complain.

spookyrach said...

Yay for pie! Yay for way too many people showing up for thanksgiving!

Happy Turkey Chili.

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

One can never have to many pies. Isn't that in Leviticus??

opinionated said...

I think it's in Hezekiah!

Have I found a quilting buddy?

Susan said...

There were police officers in front of "Wild Oats Market" here in Boulder there was so much traffic in the parking lot. ...when I got inside the store however, I concluded they'd have been even more useful inside! One could hardly move about! I stood in aisles waiting for an opportunity just to get around shoppers deciding whether to buy the sprouts or the mesclun. Oy!

Jody Harrington said...

Jean,
Yes I'm a quilter, too! What are you working on?