Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Using Spiritual Gifts

Our retreat was very nice and really was a "retreat" at the conference center in the Piney Woods. Equal numbers of educators and youth ministers were there so there was good spectrum of experiences in ministry represented. Our retreat leader did a great job of mixing guided quiet time with group discussion and sharing. And PCIT, thank heavens, no ****ing church business OR "visioning" (sorry, Songbird!).

We did a "Spiritual Gifts" inventory. I hadn't done one since I was in elder training lo these many years ago. I can't remember what my gifts were then, but here are my top five today:

1. Administration
2. Teaching
3. Giving
4. Leadership
5. Wisdom

So...taking these all together I made the ADMINISTRATIVE decision to take LEADERSHIP in TEACHING the group the accumulated WISDOM of the RevGalBlogPals by GIVING each one a copy of "A Light Blazes in the Darkness" (the ones with the messed up covers but the perfect text inside--also showing my gift for STEWARDSHIP).

Everyone was very interested in the books and asked how more could be ordered. My inventory also said I was very task/scheduled oriented--so I went home happy that I fulfilled my goal of spreading the good word about our book to many church staff members in the presbytery.

Now I must go to prepare for discussion of Jeremiah (and what was he smoking?) for tonight and tomorrow's Bible in 90 Days groups.

7 comments:

reverendmother said...

Good for you, Grace!

I wonder if there is a spiritual gifts inventory online. It would make for an interesting RevGals meme. If I remember correctly I think mine are preaching, teaching, leadership, wisdom, and tongues. Just kidding about that last one.

Unknown said...

Well, shoot. Am I the inclusive visioning RevGal? Is it that obvious?

see-through faith said...

lol to your post and the comments.

worth having insomnia for tonight (sigh. it's true I cannot get to sleep but I have laughed here and that's the silver lining)

prayers appreciated

Jody Harrington said...

Dear Songbird--SOMEONE has to be the inclusive visioning one in the group! You keep us in balance.

Unknown said...

I am glad to see you have a vision for using your gifts.
::ducks and runs::

Susan said...

There is a pretty good inventory online at the Acts 17:11 website (scroll down to the bottom of the page.

spookyrach said...

Y'all crack me up!