Thursday, December 01, 2005

Grace's Apprentice

Here's my neice with her first quilt. A couple of months ago she said she wanted to learn to make a quilt. Her mother isn't a quilter, so I offered to teach her. Portia and Babs have never been interested in learning, but I do realize it's a lot easier to take instruction from an aunt than from Mom sometimes (maybe a lot of the time!).

Every Sunday afternoon for several weeks we spent a few hours on the project. First she picked out her fabrics and I created a design that would be easy for a beginner. I cut the blocks for her, because mistakes in cutting would make sewing much harder.

I taught her to use the sewing machine. She pieced the top and then I showed her how to pin baste it to the backing and batting. She turned 8 while we were doing this, and we found that she didn't quite have the exterity to close all the pins, so I did that.

Then I drew lines for her to follow and she quilted it on the machine. I took it home and put on the binding, which can be tricky even for experienced quilters.

Her two younger sisters were our constant companions--they kept asking if I would let them sew "when I'm 7." Of course! But first we'll have to go to the fabric store...

6 comments:

My Daily Struggles said...

Quilting. Cool!

Anonymous said...

my mum was a quilter - not ususal in England. I never learnt because I didn't have an aunt to teach me. (what is it about mums and daughters)

Your neices are very blessed and I think a blessing too.

and I'm envious!

Anonymous said...

A future Minister of the Cloth, for certain. Your neice looks so proud and should be! Her quilt and her determination at such a young age is wonderful.

And to think how exciting, only 3 more years and my good daughter will be 7 and ready to sew too, right?!!??? Now she tells me she wants to sew like Mommy, but just in case things change, do you have any plans for three years from now?

Unknown said...

That's a lovely girl, a beautiful quilt and a heart-warming story. Thank you!

Jody Harrington said...

That would make her the same age as one of the younger sisters, so maybe we can have a class?

Anonymous said...

That brings tears to my eyes! What a wonderful aunt you are!

I've had to teach myself to quilt b/c I didn't have a aunt who quilted...