Friday, February 03, 2006

FreeWill and Grace's Friday APCE report

Bless us Father, for we have sinned--

Instead of attending worship, singing and plenary we slept late (9 am!!), ate a big breakfast, and then did the tourist thing. We walked over to the Old Courthouse, famous as the site of the Dred Scott case, then went to the famed Arch and visited the museum of Westward Expansion below, which is quite well done. No offense to the plenary speaker, but it is a rare speaker who can be interesting 3x2 1/2 hours total.

We did go to our workshops. The one I went to yesterday on adult Bible study was very good, but alas the professor who gave it had no handouts. He did a wonderful demo of how to lead a Bible study using just the text --but I would need to have a DVD of him or watch him do this several more times to learn how to do it myself.

The second workshop on adult education was given by a Phd candidate who spent the entire time on educational theory and was WAY over my head. Color me simple, but I was hoping for concrete suggestions for making adult classes more interesting. I did like the last class on Sabbath keeping for church professionals. The leader was very good and also realistic--a good trait. He suggested that we try for 10 minutes of Sabbath keeping once a week and then try to work up to 10 minutes once a day. The conversation in this group was lively and engaging, too.

Last night we had a fun evening with several other educators from our area and a couple of Virginians. I always learn something from meeting new folks. Tonight is the awards dinner. FreeWill (my roomie) is being honored as a brand new certified Director of Christian Education. I get to tag along at her reserved table and clap loudly. Yee-hah!!

There's one more workshop tomorrow and then the flight back to Houston. More later...

2 comments:

St. Casserole said...

In my experience, ditching workshops to sleep or eat works well in the long view of life.

Are you discouraged with this event? You may be too ladylike to say.

Jody Harrington said...

Yes, I was discouraged. More on that in the next post.