Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Gung Hay Fat Choy, Ya'll!


Last Tuesday I was sitting in my office trying to wrap up loose ends before leaving town for the APCE conference when I heard the insistent thumping of steel drums and squeals of delight from the sanctuary filled with kids from our school. The dragon dancers were performing to celebrate the Chinese New Year!

These guys were GREAT. Their costumes had eyes, ears and tails that moved in such a life-like way that you almost forgot it wasn't real.

Our church and school is located in an area with a high concentration of Asian-Americans. A significant number of them are students in our school. One of their moms, who is also a stalwart volunteer for our church VBS every year, arranged for the dancers. She also had several retired gentlemen from the local Chinese community center come to write the children's names on elegant bamboo - imprinted paper with Chinese characters and brushes. There was a long line at that table!

Gung Hay Fat Choy, y'all!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool pictures ... glad you had a good time at APCE ... and thanks for stopping by My Backyard :) I've been hanging around the revgalblog ring since you introduced it to me a few months ago and just decided to join up. Since I've moved from my xanga site and have a real adult blog now :).

I'll be looking forward to seeing you soon. Take care.

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

How cool! What a great keepsake for the kids!

St. Casserole said...

Who you calling FAT CHOY???

What a great school! I wish I could see these dancers.

BTW, I am NOT a fat choy. Well, not much of one...

Jules said...

Gung Hay Fat Choy right back 'atcha! This is someting I miss about living in Northern Cali--everyone was Asian for a day or two. I usally got to enjoy the best Korean food on Chinese New Year.