Sunday, February 19, 2006

Tag I'm It--the 7 Songs Meme

I'm it! I was tagged by BroGreg for this meme, so I decided to play along while watching the Olympics this evening. Here is the question:
List seven songs you are into right now. No matter what the genre, whether they have words, or even if they're any good, but they must be songs you're really enjoying now. Post these instructions in your blog along with your seven songs. Then tag seven other people to see what they're listening to.
A word of explanation first. I've been constantly playing the album Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir for the past couple of weeks whenever I am in the car. I needed a spiritual "jump-start" and for me, nothing does that like great classical choral singing. I love to sing along with this great choir. Here are my 7 favorites from the album, in no particular order:

1. Sheep May Safely Graze by J.S. Bach. I sang this melody with wedding lyrics ("Jesus Savior, be thou near them as they walk along life's way) at one of my neice's weddings. I plan to ask another neice to sing this for Portia's wedding. You really can't beat Bach.

2. Let Their Celestial Concerts All Unite from Samson by G.F. Handel. Fabulous intertwining harmonies in this one really lift your spirits!

3. Sing Unto God from Judas Maccabeas by G. F. Handel. No one does it like Handel--you can't listen to this and not want to sing along!

4. Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring by J.S. Bach. When El Jefe and I were married, the church choir sang this during the ceremony. I plan to use it as the processional for the bridesmaids at Portia's wedding.

5. Awake the Trumpet's Lofty Sound from Samson by G. F. Handel. If your morning coffee didn't wake you up, this will!

6. But As for His People from the Israel in Egypt oratorio by G. F. Handel. A more calm, lyrical chorus than the others.

7. Hallelujah Chorus from Messiah by G. F. Handel. What can I say? Everyone's favorite.

If Greg had tagged me at another time there would be a lot more variety in what I am listening to --for better or worse. But I really love this album and I'm not tired of it yet--it definitely puts me in an optimistic, happy mood.

You're supposed to tag 7 others to play, but I tell you what: if you'd like to play, too, then consider yourself tagged and leave word in my comments that you answered so I can visit you--or just answer in the comments if you're not a blogger. Thanks, Greg!

1 comment:

RevHRod said...

Consider me tagged.