Thursday, February 02, 2006

Thursday Evaluations

I walked out of the workshop on the new PCUSA confirmation curriculum because the workshop leader "forgot" to bring any of those materials to the workshop. She then began to try to describe them from memory, but kept forgetting things. How lame is that! Bah. Fortunately they have some available at the bookstore for the conference, so I'll go over there in a minute and look it over before my next workshop. But what a missed opportunity! I was hoping to get a real introduction and overview to these new materials and have the chance to ask questions about them and hear the questions of others. Grade: D

After spending another 2 1/2 hours with our plenary speaker, Rev. Eric Law, I decided that I am done. He had us do a couple of interesting group exercises, but I can't see the practical use of any of them in a church. At lunch with about 10 other educators I asked them what they thought and they all agreed. So tomorrow morning I think I'll do a bit of sight-seeing. Grade: C

On a brighter note, five of us from my presbytery were all wearing red jackets today! No one pre-arranged that, but it sure made it easier to find each other at the PCUSA breakfast and the plenary session. Grade: A from the Fashion Police.

Roomate (Free)Will and I discovered that she was friends with my sister many years ago when both were freshmen at UT. We've been friends through our work for the past 8 years, and APCE roommates the past 3 years and just now figured that out! Grade: A for providential.

Tonight is a free night so I'm looking forward to dinner with an assorted group from our regional group and lots of fellowship and exchange of ideas, to be washed down with some good wine at the Italian Restaurant we chose. Grade: A+

6 comments:

Emily said...

Hi QG--glad you're going Italian. Where are you all staying in STL--I could pass on eating/sightseeing suggestions.

reverendmother said...

Hey, was AW one of those red-jacketed babes? If so, tell her I said hi. I worked with her when I lived there.

Karen Sapio said...

Oh I HATE when a workshop turns out to be disappointing. I've almost made a rule never to sign up for a workshop where I don't know for sure (from my own experience or the experience of someone I trust) that the leader is dynamic and competent--but then I worry that a hard and fast rule like that would mean I'd miss someone fabulous that I just haven't heard of yet.

St. Casserole said...

Sorry about forgotten materials, lame presentations and wasting your time. It's too bad when these things happen. Poor stewardship.
Glad you made the Fashion Police A+ list and get to eat a good meal.

see-through faith said...

5he free night A+ sounds great. sorry to hear about the rest.

Apostle John said...

How disappointing! To teach other educators, you would assume they would do their absolute best.