Monday, November 06, 2006

Going to The Why Presbyteries? Conference


In a couple of weeks (Nov. 15-17) I'm attending the Moderator's Conference at the PCUSA "headquarters" in Louisville. Any other Presbybloggers planning to attend? Let me know in the comments so we can get acquainted.

The theme of the conference is: Why Presbyteries?

Erm. Don't they know? Seriously, this theme reveals a lot of uncertainty about who we are and how and why we organize ourselves in a connectional fashion that isn't particularly reassuring to this newbie Moderator-Elect.

In preparation for the conference, I was sent a paper titled:

IDENTITY-POLITY-PRAXIS
What The Book of Order, The Book of Confessions, and the Book of Numbers
Have to Say About Ecclesiology and the Presbytery

A little light reading before bedtime it's not. I'm learning new words: praxis, eschatological ecclesiology and proleptically. Sigh. Where's that dictionary? I'll have to read the paper more than once to be comfortable discussing it since it is highly conceptual.

I signed up for the workshop on Revising the Form of Government Project. That's the FOG for short. Heh-heh-heh. Write your own joke! Did you know the FOG was working on re-writing the Book of Order? Neither did I.
This week there were a couple of Presbybloggers who posted some criticism of what FOG has released so far. Jim Berkely thinks that the draft sections of dealing with God, Christ and the Holy Spirit lean toward the ancient heresy of Modalism. S T Jones (Curmudgeon's Progress) is also concerned about these theological statements and fears that trying to complete this effort in 19 months is unreasonable.

I haven't read any of this yet but I certainly agree that the theological basis for the BOO is very important. As a layperson with a legal background, I am more familiar with polity than theology, so I will say that in my opinion the BOO needs to be re-written and not just revised. Parts of it are not logically arranged and sometimes are internally inconsistent. As the denominational consensus has unraveled over the last couple of decades, it has been repeatedly amended in an attempt to keep the PCUSA together, which creates more confusion over its meaning and interpretation. Given the lack of internal agreement on many essentials of polity and theology, I'm doubtful this effort will succeed--but if it were done well, it could be a great thing for the church. The FOG website is here if you are interested in checking it out for yourself.

For my second workshop I had the choice of "All You Wanted To Know About Being a Moderator But Were Afraid To Ask" and yet another excursion into PUP-apologetics. I've heard enough about the PUP to last a lifetime and unless there is some PJC decision that changes things, I'm better off practicing how to moderate.

I've never been to Louisville, a General Assembly, or headquarters, so it should be very interesting. Our current Moderator, Rev. Joan Gray, will be there. I'll get to see the people I've read about for years. It should make for an interesting weekend.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reading church political commentary over the last few years, I think we need to revisit a lot of really fundamental questions, including what is the proper role of a presbytery and a synod and the denomination's national layer.

BTW, I expect you to take your laptop and keep us informed! Inquiring minds want to know!

Elaine
Norman, OK

Jody Harrington said...

The laptop is coming along!

Lori said...

This is exciting! A true filter (yourself) through which to view the goings on up top! I look forward to your impressions of these meetings.

Anonymous said...

Have fun, QG! Should be very interesting and enlightening. Glad you'll get to meet Rev. Joan Gray. She strikes me as a quite decent sort who is working very hard to effectively harness the constructive and creative energy of what could be a runaway freight train. I'll ask our presbytery's Moderator if she's going to this conference as well.

Keep us posted!

BTW-just my 2 cents-I see presbyteries as being more useful than synods.

Anonymous said...

I second the 'Inquiring minds want to know' sentiment.

St. Casserole said...

I didn't know that Louisville offered a Moderator's conf.

I guess we never had the funds or interest in attending it.

Sounds great!

Joan Gray is smart, calm, easy-to-be-with and genuine. I think you'll like her.

Gannet Girl said...

I can't wait to read your reports - should be fascinating and I expect to learn tons.

Steph Youstra said...

I'm not a Presbyblogger .... BUT I do live in Loovul .... would love to meet some folks if things could work out that way!

Xtrsk33r said...

Definately interested in your reports! I've heard rumors of no Synods. Could the same be happening to Presbyteries? And if no Presbyteries; who holds properties in trust? Hmmmm... To many questions can't wait for your reports!!!