Monday, November 06, 2006

On the Eve of The Big Fat Mess


This is a map of the 22nd Congressional District of Texas. Looks like a Rorsach ink blot, doesn't it? My precinct is in the roundish-looking blobby portion on the left. This has become one prime piece of political real estate since last week's polls showed that the Republican write-in candidate is in a statistical dead heat with the Democratic candidate who is actually listed on the ballot. Here's a review of the situation previously posted on QG.

The campaign ratcheted up several notches over the weekend. El Jefe and I had been in Austin attending the UT football game (Go Horns!) and returned to 7 calls on the voicemail--6 were political ads, including one from George W. and TWO from Laura Bush. One was a strange call saying that another write-in candidate was "too liberal" for the district. Huh? That little mystery was cleared up when I read in the newspaper that the Democratic Party paid for those calls in the hope of dividing the conservative Republican vote between the write-in candidate chosen by the party and the other guy. Oh those wacky Dems! There's a wily political ploy for you.

Mrs. America (yes, she competes in Mrs America pagents in her spare time), the election judge for my precinct, just stopped by to tell me we need to be there extra-early tomorrow morning. She's been told that there will be poll-watchers from both parties at our precinct. In the ten years or more I've been an election official, we've never had poll watchers attend our election. We've also heard rumors that both parties have lawyers poised for a courthouse sprint. Ugh.

The write-in campaign is sure to cause big delays. If someone wants assistance writing in their ballot, then two election workers plus one poll watcher from each party have to observe the proceedings at the e-slate machine. We'll have a PDA loaded with the names of everyone registered to vote in the precinct so we can pre-screen voters while they are in line and save them time by sending them to their correct precinct before they try to sign in. Since we are Tom DeLay's home precinct, we also expect a visit from the press. Oh joy.

Light a candle and say a prayer for St. Betty, Mrs. America, Sonia and me tomorrow as we do our d$%^*st to assure that the election is conducted with complete integrity. Spooky Rach and Mindy--please have the Texas Towncar Of Justice ready to roll! I'll be blogging throughout the day as I did during the primary, but there's no internet access in the voting area so I won't be able to post until after the polls close and we have gone home.

If you didn't vote early--vote tomorrow!

10 comments:

zorra said...

George, Laura, and Shelley have all "personally" phoned us today. I stopped answering the phone. I will be so glad when this is over, regardless of who wins or who loses. Have fun tomorrow....

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

I voted early so I KNOW you are proud of me!!

I have gassed up the car and Rachel can drive like the wind if we need to!

Benjamin P. Glaser said...

Vot Early and Vote Often!!! :)

spookyrach said...

Whew! Best of luck!

I have phasers set to "kickass" and we gunning the engine at the county line.

reverendmother said...

Now *surely* you're not suggesting that Dems have a lock on wiliness...

Gannet Girl said...

Our neighbors are moving tomorrow -- big truck outside this morning. Turns out they are moving to Houston. Two women with two sons. You know, I said, nodding at the church across the street where we vote, I hear they vote differently down there.

At least we know that QG is on the front lines!

Jody Harrington said...

RM--I meant that as a compliment to the Democrats' understanding of the psychology of the 22nd District!

reverendmother said...

Hee hee!

I've really enjoyed your updates and said a little prayer for you yesterday as I stood in line at my place. Did you wear a patriotic scarf or appliqued jacket? That seems to be the uniform for female poll workers ;-)

We've got 8,000 votes separating our senate candidates here in the Commonwealth. Our votes certainly count!

Jody Harrington said...

No patriotic scarf of appliqued jacket for me! Not only do I read PeaceBang, but I heed my daughter Babs admonitions not to look like I'm wearing a quilt. I did wear navy blue slacks, a white camisole and a tasteful red/blue tweed jacket with a "Vote Texas" pin and red comfy flats. Ms. Bedazzled from the primary didn't work with us this time or I would have gotten a picture for you!

reverendmother said...

Nice.