Saturday, December 02, 2006

Christmas Gift Idea From Joel Osteen


Just in time for Christmas Your Best Life Now The Game is now available. ($34.99 retail. Less online.)

"The game enables players to step beyond the one-on-one nature of the book and feel, touch and live Joel’s 7 Steps to Living at Your Full Potential," according to amazon.com.

It is based on Joel Osteen's best selling book Your Best Life Now. Joel Osteen is the "co-pastor" (along with wife Victoria) of Lakewood Church in Houston.

Also Known As: The Oasis of Love. Motto: Discover the Champion in You. Location: former NBA arena.

Following the book's 7 chapters, the game has 7 levels and the winner of the game is the one who first reaches the end of Level 7--Choose To Be Happy. The winner gets to open the MY MIRACLE envelope and reads the goals and promises all other players wrote down at the beginning of the game. Then the "losers" must now help the winner reach his/her goals by "living your best life now."

You know, I can't make up this stuff.

A spokesman for Lakewood was quoted in the Houston Chronicle saying that the church will not sell the board game because it does not fit "the message of the ministry." That's because he thinks the content of the game is "a little simplistic" compared to the book. (??!!???) He claims that the game "slipped between the cracks" and was not approved by the church before it was published. In fairness, he says the game doesn't represent Osteen's message about Jesus.

Whatever. All I know is Lakewood Church is a veritable font of blogging inspiration.

18 comments:

Karen Sapio said...

Really, just get me the home version of The Price is Right, okay?

Anonymous said...

You posted this just for me, didn't you? Now that I have discovered Joel Osteen and The One True Message, I can no longer be content with the drab ordinariness of my life. I'm sure this game will help.

Anonymous said...

My wife says the best part of watching Joel Osteen on TV, is his opening joke. She then changes the channel as the theology is so weak it is often as funny as the joke. Problem is, some take it seriously.

Sue said...

Ya know, if guys like Osteen and that creepy guy at Mars Hill in Seattle (can't recall his name, but he's in the habit of reminding women of their "place") weren't so darn scary, they would be hilarious. Unfortunately, as anonymous has pointed out, some people actually believe this guy's paper-thin theology.

~heavy sigh~

Mary Beth said...

Laffin my fanny off...

Unknown said...

no way, anything for a buck.

Lori said...

Oh darn it! Can't surprise you for Christmas now!

Anonymous said...

Wow.
I'm not sure there is a response that does this justice.

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

Dammit..and I have already bought Rach's Christmas gift!

opinionated said...

!!(O)!!
Truly appalling thing is that I have a lay speaker who is really on fire for JO. Like anonymous said . .

spookyrach said...

I'm waiting for Milton's Board Game. You know, the one with all the levels headed in the opposite direction.

Anonymous said...

Maybe Amazon could pair this with that video game based upon the "Left Behind" series. Maybe you've heard about it: "Left Behind: Eternal Forces." Now that would make for one exciting and misguided Christmas!

Jules said...

I...but...and...

GAHHH!

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

oh.my.word.

will smama said...

Oh, so THAT's how I find the prosperity that God wants for me... I sell a board game. Now it all makes sense.

Anonymous said...

oiy. sigh.

hip2b said...

Yeah, big sigh...
Cause I'm pretty sure it'll be under a certain Christmas tree for Hubby & Me.

see-through faith said...

laughing but wondering if knocking my head against the wall would be the more appropriate response.

sigh