Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Blue Screen of Death Tuesday

ARRRGGGH! and Razzlefrackzit.

This morning the laptop only displayed the grey Apple logo screen and would go no further. After following the Help directions, using Bab's computer, I managed to progress to the Blue Screen of Death. Swell.

In a panic, I trotted over to the nearby (thankfully) Apple Store to consult the resident Genius. Genius, bedecked in several earrings, became frustrated with the laptop. Not a good sign. Laptop is admitted to Apple Hospital. A couple of hours later, they call me to pick it up.

Good news: it's working again and didn't cost anything to fix thanks to the Apple plan. Bad news: All Data Lost. Silver lining: Gmail archives should have all documents I will need to reconstruct because they all got emailed to somebody. Groan. Yes, I had some backup. But not enough. There's never enough, is there?

And of course today is the day Beatrice got "fixed" and "microchipped" at the Vet clinic. At least she's asleep now. I'm going to put the laptop to sleep for a while because I've had enough for today.

8 comments:

Lori said...

((((((QG))))))

And now it's a toes up and nice Christmas toddy for you, dear.

(oh yes and (((())))'s to Beatrice who will wake up a new woman. So to speak)

Unknown said...

Windows NT crashed.
I am the Blue Screen of Death.
No one hears your screams.

This is from an old list of haiku error messages, mostly relating to Windows.

For some reading "pleasure" here is a web site for those who have lost data:

Haiku Error Messages

Cathy said...

I am so sorry your computer got sick. I would have done the same thing -- go immediately to get it fixed...pronto...the thought of it gives me the heebie jeebies.

Jan said...

Whew! What a day! Hope things keep improving especially with Beatrice.

Rev Kim said...

What a rough day! Hope you have a better one tomorrow, and Beatrice is back to her normal self (except for that escaping through the fence part).

Reformed Catholic said...

FWIW ... sounds like a hard disk crash, since all the data was lost.

This is something that would affect any computer, whether using Windoze or Mac X.

I've found an article that can help you with a backup solution:
http://maczealots.com/articles/backup/
It reviews a few different Macintosh backup programs.

Don't despair, I've been through this a few times with disk crashes. I've finally gone to a network storage solution (networked hard drive) to backup the 4 different computers in my household.

Trouble is, who backs up the backup?;(

Gannet Girl said...

Oh dear.

Maybe you should all three sleep today.

St. Inuksuk said...

Ach du Lieber! What a royal pain in the, well, you know where!
At least you have your computer back. Mine went for a full clean slate one week and two days ago and I am getting desperate to have it back. Nothing like hog-tying a preacher just before Advent!!!!
Hope Beatrice is doing well!