Thursday, November 29, 2007

Trendwatch: Ugly Christmas Sweater Parties





















While some of my more seriously theologically minded blogging pals are pondering The Big Questions of Advent QG is turning her attention to an aspect of current popular culture: the Ugly Christmas Sweater Party.

I learned about this a couple of weeks ago because Portia and Babs are going to an Ugly Christmas Sweater party and were looking for appropriate garb. I didn't have any (because they threw my beloved -80's Christmas sweatshirt with light up twinkly lights out a few years ago), so they went over to their aunt's and ransacked her closet. They concluded that none of her sweaters were really ugly ENOUGH, so now a trip to TJ Maxx and Steinmart is planned for the weekend.

Apparently Ugly Christmas Sweater Parties are all the rage. You can get information about how to have one here. And here's a blog with a plethora of examples for you--but if you're like me you'll be thinking: "some of those aren't THAT ugly." But some of them are. If you live in Texas you've seen plenty of cowboy Santa themed sweaters like the one shown above.

Finally, here's a great timewaster for you. Click on this link and you can make your own virtual ugly Christmas sweater, stick your photo on it and email it to your friends! That's 30 minutes I won't be getting back.

11 comments:

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

That sounds like so much fun!

spookyrach said...

This is hysterical!!!

We used to call those sweaters 'teacher clothes'.

Anonymous said...

When I was growing up we used to sew seasonal vests -- one for Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas. We always wore them over turtleneck sweaters. My daughter absolutely forbids me to wear them, but they are still hanging in the back of my closet. Ofter I see my children's teachers wearing similar vests!

Jules said...

I go to one of these every year. Unfortunately, it is known as the St. Stoic Christmas Party!

Unknown said...

cheesehead, LOL!
Grace, I wish I could see a picture of you in the sweatshirt!

Anonymous said...

Excellent!

I had an ugly Halloween sweater as well, once upon a time. Yikes.

Karen Sapio said...

Can we come up with a RGBP Holiday shirt to sell at our Cafe Press site?

Have a Holly, Bloggy Christmas?
Silver Blogs?


I'm sure someone can come up with something much better . . .

RevGalBlogPals: Magnifying the Lord since 2005???

Sue said...

Oh PCIT - great idea!!

I've never had a seasonal sweater - now I know why! QG - thanks for the chuckle!!

Jan said...

I'm glad it's too hot here for this!

St. Casserole said...

Every year, I fight the urge to buy one of those sweaters. The brighter the better type are very popular here.

I don't own one and live for the day when Bad Christmas Sweater parties come here!

Hilarious! Steinmart has a great supply this year!

imnotadoctor said...

I found a killer ugly sweater at buyuglysweaters.com