Friday, November 23, 2007

Post Thanksgiving Friday Five

Here's the post-Thanksgiving Friday Five meme from the RevGals. Think I'll play today.

1. Did you go elsewhere for the day, or did you have visitors at your place instead? How was it?

We had 13 for dinner chez QG, including one toddler and two puppies. It was great! DK and Babs made apple cake, apple streusel bars, pecan pie with chocolate chips and Heath bar chips, pumpkin pie and chocolate brownie pie. Can you say sugar overload?

2. Main course: If it was the turkey, the whole turkey, and nothing but the turkey, was it prepared in an unusual way? Or did you throw tradition to the winds and do something different?

We had TWO kinds of turkey: roast turkey slathered with butter and herbs d'provance and a heavenly-scented smoked turkey from Tyler, Texas. We also had TWO kinds of dressing: cornbread and traditional bread stuffing, and TWO kinds of potatoes: mashed with cheese and sweet potato casserole with coconut and pecans. Guess our Thanksgiving theme is TWO of everything!

3. Other than the meal, do you have any Thanksgiving customs that you observe every year?

Most importantly, we invite someone who might be alone to join us. This year our neighbors brought their nephew who is new in town. I also always use my great-grandmother's gold-rimmed plates that she brought over from Scotland on Thanksgiving.

4. The day after Thanksgiving is considered a major Christmas shopping day by most US retailers. Do you go out bargain hunting and shop ‘till you drop, or do you stay indoors with the blinds closed? Or something in between?

QG refuses to shop on Black Friday. In fact, QG is a dedicated online shopper who eagerly anticipates Cyber Monday. However, I've already done some online shopping in advance and am feeling very smug.

5. Let the HOLIDAY SEASON commence! When will your Christmas decorations go up?

Not until December. Give me a break!!! It's not even Advent yet. Stuffing my fingers in my ears now.

10 comments:

Terri said...

Your desserts beat mine, but just barely: we had a custard pie, pumkin pie, apple pie, banana cream pie, and a pumpkin bread pudding with cinnamon ice cream. Oh, what to choose...love that you have your GGmothers plates...and use them!

Jan said...

I'd come to both of your houses for those great desserts!

Your Thanksgiving sounds fun and delicious with so many people, a lonely person, and your grandmother's plates!

Internet shopping is what I like, too.

will said...

"Guess our Thanksgiving theme is TWO of everything!"

A Noah's Ark theme?

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

in my mind's eye i can picture the crowd, the beautifully set table, the array of desserts... and you have shopped already! have you wrapped too that is the question.

Sally said...

my mouth is watering just reading that list of food... mmm, smoked turkey and bring on the sugar!

As for internet shoppping I am all for it, beats crowds anyday! :-)

Cathy said...

I am right there with you stuffing my fingers in my ears.

more cows than people said...

sounds like quite a feast and i love your tradition of inviting someone who might be alone. good stuff.

i'm wishing for your desserts.

Rev Kim said...

Mmm, your meal sounds delightful! We also did the traditional roast turkey with butter & aromatics and a chocolate pecan pie. I'll have to try it with the toffee pieces when I make it at Christmas!

LutheranChik said...

Your meal beat ours for variety. Smoked turkey...mmmm!

Lori said...

Oh I am so wantin' some of that pecan pie!! Your feast sounds just wonderful!!

Gonna stand outside your house next year pretending to be alone for Thanksgiving.

I'm with you on the cyber shopping. The crowds get worse out here every year. And more ill tempered.