Thursday, September 14, 2006

If It's Saturday There Must Be Football Somewhere

Right after Portia and DK announced their engagement in January, good neighbors and friends The Old Marine and Saint Betty arranged for us to join their family and some other friends for a weekend in San Antonio, my hometown. The Old Marine said that we would NEED to get away after the wedding festivities. They were so right!

So we're off tomorrow to attend the Texas A&M vs. West Point game there, among other things. The Old Marine is a very dedicated alum of A&M.Apparently West Point sees San Antonio as home field. And with good reason since the city has long been known as "the mother-in-law of the army"! The son of friends is on the Aggie team, so we'll be watching for his number on the field. Then Sunday it's on to Austin to visit Babs and check out her new apartment which is next door to Austin Presbyterian Seminary. (Think it'll rub off???)

Coincidentally, my high school class is having a reunion the same weekend--but it conflicts with these plans which we made first so I won't be attending. Which is ok, because unlike El Jefe I'm not really very interested in reunions. Ask me about the mini-reunion for his West Texas class that we're hosting at our house in October. But I digress.

Saint Betty and I will be a sight to behold tomorrow morning as we load up my mini-van with a labrador, a Boston bull terrier, and Gretel The Noble Dog who will be spending their weekend in style at The Animal Inn. Gretel whines the ENTIRE way there (about 10 miles) and then as soon as she sees the man who works there starts wagging her tail, kissing him and goes off without a backward glance. Bye Mom!

So I've packed my Aggie polo shirt that I wear to these games and a festive San Antonio style skirt to wear to dinner. El Jefe, who rarely travels with his laptop, is bringing it this time because he hopes to catch part of the Yale vs. Whoever They're Playing game on the internet. Give me strength, Lord. Well, better to see it with streaming video on the internet than to listen to it on the telephone for several hours. Oh, yes, he's been known to do that. "Fan", remember, is short for "fanatic", after all.

It's fall and football time. Have a great weekend whatever you're doing!

4 comments:

spookyrach said...

Sounds like fun!! I love college football. The only thing better is high school football.

Unknown said...

You, too!

MannaChef said...

We went to San Antonio this weekend for our 10 Anniversary. We stayed at the Hyatt Respot and Spa. How wonderfu! Lot's of people downtown when we went for dinner, but I loved the river walk. Went back today to have lunch and see some more sights!

Jody Harrington said...

We were staying very close to the Hilton! I didn't know you were there--hope you enjoyed my hometown.