Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Time For a Change


This is a copy of the cartoon our senior pastor gave me 5 years ago after I was hired as the part-time Director of Christian Education for our church. I framed it and hung it on the wall in my office. It pretty much says it all about my qualifications and experience at the time!

I’ve learned a lot these last 5 years. But now it is time for me to leave this position, which I will do as of October 1. It seems that Portia’s wedding is not the only change Chez Grace.

After being elected Moderator-Elect of New Covenant presbytery, I concluded that because of the many important issues confronting our presbytery and the PCUSA, the church needs a DCE whose focus is not distracted by responsibilities to the broader church, and the presbytery needs a Moderator-Elect who is not trying to run the educational ministry of one of its larger churches at the same time. I guess you could say that I think presbytery needs a full-time “Mom”!

It’s been an exciting and fulfilling 5 years in many ways. During this time the CE committee:

• Established a dedicated Sunday School period between our two Sunday morning services
• Expanded our Adult Sunday School classes
• Brought the Bible in 90 Days program to the church, resulting in more than 70 people successfully reading the entire Bible
• Created a midweek fellowship, worship and educational program

For everything there is a season and a time for every purpose under heaven.
--Ecclesiastes 3:1

It’s time for me to pack up my books, clear out my desk and follow God's call to serve the church in a different way. I’m looking forward to the challenges ahead, but will miss the daily interaction with our church staff and the members who faithfully work in the Christian Education ministry. We are blessed to have a capable and organized CE committee chair and dedicated members of the committee who can carry on our educational mission until a new DCE is selected. I’m grateful to both of our pastors for their constant encouragement and support and to the congregation and session for the opportunity to serve.

Thank you all!

6 comments:

Emily said...

Wow--significant life changesa all around. What an exciting time but I imageine bittersweet as well.

You're in my prayers in this change!

will smama said...

Wow. Congratulations on a job well done and on a new journey!

reverendmother said...

Wow indeed! Blessings on the new adventure!

Jules said...

Wonderful new changes coming up.

Blessings!

spookyrach said...

Best of luck. I always admire people who work to avoid being over-committed.

Unknown said...

Your church and your denomination are blessed by your talents and your commitment.