Wednesday, September 27, 2006

My Last Staff Meeting


Excuse me for feeling a bit blue and nostalgic this afternoon. This morning I attended the last staff meeting at church since my resignation is effective October 1. The group took me out to lunch (Tex-Mex of course!) at a local restaurant and we got to sit outside in the beautiful fall weather and eat chips, salsa and green sauce. They gave me a beautiful Mariner's cross (our school's mascot is the Mariners) and a card filled with more than enough love, good wishes and praise to choke me up.

As I took a box full of folders containing outlines and handouts from classes I created and taught over the last five years I remembered them all: The Ten Commandments, Revelation: Unlocking the Code; Exploring the Old and New Testaments; The Bible From Scratch; The DaVinci Code; Early Christians; and Bible in 90 Days. Although I am confident that I needed to leave the DCE position in order to responsibly take on the Moderator-Elect position at presbytery, I sure will miss teaching regularly and miss the regular interaction with my friends on the staff. But we can still go to lunch!

Our Business Manager is already measuring my office to see if his furniture will fit in it. That's fair. He works full-time, but his position was created after mine (which was part-time) and he doesn't have an office, but must work out of the reception area. That is not good when you are handling all the confidential financial information of the church. So, God bless, Jack, enjoy the space!

This weekend I'll need to revise the personal description on the blog so that DCE becomes another of my "former" occupations. I wonder how many more God has in store?

9 comments:

Gannet Girl said...

Yeah, I wonder the same thing sometimes.

Here's to Happy Transitioning and Great New Things for you!

Theresa Coleman said...

It's a sad time, when you leave a position for another. It's a sort of mourning.
Prayers you way today.

Anonymous said...

Transistions are times filled with both nostalgia and anticipation ... my God bless you with the best of each.

spookyrach said...

Good luck and many more good lunches!

St. Casserole said...

Putting something down frees our hands for whatever we are to take up next.

I can't wait to find out what you will be up to next.

Thinking of you and proud to know you.

Jules said...

God's blessings in this 'in between' time!

Anonymous said...

Blessings as you follow the path!

Unknown said...

Well, I hope all goes well with the changes, I mean wasn't it enough to get a daughter wed?

Anonymous said...

we can still go to lunch ... I love that :)