Tuesday, September 12, 2006

One More Time for BIND


Thinking over the last five years I have spent as DCE at my church, I would have to say that the most significant thing we did, next to convincing the session to establish a dedicated Sunday School period, was the Bible in 90 Days program that we did last fall as part of the 20th anniversary celebration of the church.

It was a very exciting time. More than 125 people bought Bibles and joined one of the many groups that committed to the program. Although Hurricane Rita disrupted our schedule, about 70 finished reading the Bible in 90 (well, 97) days.

Last spring we offered BIND again and had a group of about 12 begin, with more than half of them finishing. So this fall we are offering it again. I wish that we had the money in the church's budget to do some advertising locally, because I don't think other churches in our area are offering BIND. But we don't, so this time I have a very small group--only 3--committed to meeting on Wednesday nights. I decided I missed the discipline of the daily readings so I'm leading the group myself. I also wanted to see the new videos that are part of the package Zondervan published, and so far I think they are more helpful than the "beta" version that we used last fall.

My hardy little band must make their way through Leviticus, Numbers and most of Deuteronomy this week. That's one of the tougher, less accessible parts of the Bible for most of us today. I'll find out tomorrow night how well they fared.

There's a different dynamic with a group this small. Our experience last fall was that the smaller the group, the more people successfully finished their reading. On the other hand, having just three people limits the opportunity for wide ranging discussions.

Wish us luck!

4 comments:

little david said...

I agree that the size of the group has a major impact on the discussion. I am going through Leviticus myself right now and, I must say, it can be mind-numbing. Really, how many times must a sacrificial procedure be described in order to get it? Well, bon courage, as they say in France.

spookyrach said...

Sounds good. I'll be interested to hear how the experience differs for you with the smaller group.

Jules said...

I could hardly get past the line where you got a dedicated education hour. Oh, how I would love that!

I'm not worthy--I bow before your greatness! Seriously.

Jody Harrington said...

~blushes~
Thanks, Cheese.
That was a tough one, and left some blood on the floor but worth it in the end.