Friday, February 06, 2009

Catherine Takes Second Prize in HGO Young Artists Competition

What a fabulous evening for the whole QG family! Above you see me, El Jefe, my sister Music Mary and our Catherine, who took the second prize in the Houston Grand Opera Young Artists Competition. Portia, Babs and Paul were also in the audience cheering her on.

It was such a thrill to be in the Cullen Theater at the Wortham Center to see the Concert of Arias which concludes the competition! Ten finalists each sang two arias and then the judges announced the winners. Catherine not only sang wonderfully but was the most beautiful, elegant young woman on the stage. If I say so myself. And I do!

Afterwards there was an elegant dinner and we got a chance to see Catherine and also watch lots of people congratulate her and make a big well-deserved fuss. I'm sure my Dad was beside himself somewhere in heaven, too. Really, our cup runneth over!

We're very hopeful she will be offered a contract in the HGO studio, which is her first choice to continue her training. What a privilege it would be to have her in Houston for a while --and what fun the girls will have with her if she gets to come here.

Catherine Martin. Write it down. You'll be hearing more from her. And you read it here first!

3 comments:

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

She is so pretty. I am so glad that she did that well!!

Gannet Girl said...

Congratulations to her! What a beautiful young woman!

zorra said...

How fabulous! Congratulations to Catherine and her proud family!