Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Holocaust Survivor Hero at Virginia Tech


Among the victims of the Virginia Tech massacre was 76 year old professor Liviu Lebrescu. He saved the lives of many of his students by barricading the door to his classroom while they escaped through the windows before he was shot to death himself.
Professor Lebrescu was a Holocaust survivor.

Because of my post on Sunday about Holocaust Remembrance Day, this information really got to me. Doubtless everyone who has heard about the Virginia Tech tragedy relates to it in some way.

Christ have mercy, God have mercy.

8 comments:

Gannet Girl said...

I had not read this. What a terrible and yet victorious way for his life to end.

seethroughfaith said...

I like what gannet girl said. It's a noble and victorious way to end your life - and I expect he was just the same kind of man in Autswitz

Sad but also full of hope!

spookyrach said...

I like what Lorna says - Sad, but indeed full of hope.

Lori said...

He was about 8 years old at the liberation of the camps, then. Just a small boy. And he grew up to finish his life by saving others, after surviving so much himself. There's a profound symmetry full of grace there.

Anonymous said...

And isn't that true, that what resounds for each of us is probably slightly different?

The German instructor killed had done a Fulbright year in Germany. As my campus' Fulbright advisor, I know what that says about what an outstanding person he was. As was each one of those killed, I am sure.

Sickening. Sickening loss, evil, despair.

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

When I read about him Ester popped into my head *How do you not know that you were not born for such a time as this?* Dammit, it still makes me cry.

Totally stupid things happen but wonderful heros are always around.

Unknown said...

Now there is a true hero an person. I did not know this abouthim. I saw his picture on CNN.
Thanks for sharing this.

John said...

That was a heroic generation that understood evil.