Monday, April 09, 2007

Johnny Hart, "BC" Creator 1931-2007

Johnny Hart, the beloved cartoonist who created "BC", joined the Church Triumphant on Holy Saturday at the age of 76. Hart was a devout Presbyterian whose Christmas and Easter cartoons reflected his faith. The Easter cartoon pictured above was controversial with some who saw it as depicting Christianity replacing Judaism, but Hart said that it was meant to be a tribute to both faiths. I loved it because to me it showed Judaism as the foundation of Christianity.

The funny pages will not be the same without Johnny Hart. I know I'm not the only one among my family and friends who clipped his Easter and Christmas strips and displayed them on my refrigerator or bulletin board. May the Holy Spirit comfort his family and friends with the knowledge that he is now with Christ.

4 comments:

Lori said...

I looked up his picture. He has such kind and wise eyes and with his gift and humor we'll sure miss him. But just think of all the good new stuff we'll get to see in heaven!

Cathy said...

His comic was one of the few I always read and looked at. He always had geat Christmas and Easter cartoons. May light perpetual shine upon him.

Unknown said...

Thanks for your moving tribute. His Easter and Christmas strips were something to be treasured.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I am so sad! I had't known he died. He was a big favorite of mine, too.