Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Progressive Madness


Lately I've found myself juggling four different pairs of glasses: one pair of trendy super-cute frames with progressive lenses for the in-denial over 40 presbyoptics like me; one pair of not so cute but more practical progressive lenses; one pair of glasses for "mid-range" computer work that are WAY better for reading than either of the progressives; and a pair of sunglasses with progressive lenses that require at least 5 minutes of adjustment time.

It's driving me CRAZY. It's making my purse weigh a ton. Maybe I'd be better off with contacts and reading glasses.

Truly, there must be a better way. Today I'm off to my optometrist to seek it. Wish me luck!

UPDATE: So here's the new plan: soft contacts with some adjustment in strength on one eye for reading (but not monovision) plus prescription reading glasses keyed to the contacts. Love the contacts so far!! Hooray!! One pair of glasses is so much better than 4.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

the better way - longer arms and bigger texts!

oh and someone to help point out the signs over there ...

seriously share the solutions - we want to hear :)

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

LOL..you are so funny!

Alan said...

Princess of everything must be young or escaped the fall or something. I will pray for you as you go. I too have bifocals and the best way to read with them has been to take them off...

I'm going back and taking a hymn book and a typical reading book and making the lens work for the distance I hold them...

Hope they get it right this time
Peace

Gannet Girl said...

I now wear one contact and use one eye for near and one for far. With the progressives I either had them and bumped into everything or had lost them because I had to take them off to read -- which meant they could be ANYWHERE.

Right now they are just broken. And lost.

Lori said...

Whatever you do, no matter what they tell you, do NOT get lasik. Do NOT. I did it and was almost blinded in one eye. Even though my eyes work OK now, they are uncomfortable 90 percent of my waking hours. And this is almost a year after the repairing surgery. (hideous story. Tried to sell it, but no takers). At least the doctor who messed up paid for half my repair suregery.

You only need two pair of glasses: One with bifocals with clip on sunglasses for out and about in the world, and a pair kept at your computer. Just the two. And the clip on sunglasses are pretty common now.

Good luck. And remember, NO LASIK!!!

Jody Harrington said...

Thanks, PG, for the warning. You'll see by my update that there's no lasik involved.

And I'm sorry for your bad experience with lasik. It seems too risky to me once you already need bifocals, plus with the amount of reading I do I would never ever take the slightest risk with elective eye surgery.

Cathy said...

QG - I am right there with you with the glasses, contacts, etc. I am wearing progressive, but not satisfied with the progressive - they also serve as transition lenses for the sun. I think next go round I am going with REGULAR bifocals... no progressive. See how that goes.
Contact lenses - I am giving my eyes a rest - I wore the contacts too much and have some corneal vessel overgrowth that they are watching...

Lori said...

You chose wisely, grasshopper.

Unknown said...

ditoo to presbyterian gal.

What work just to wear glasses.
But I have been putting off seeing the eye doc too. So you have encouraged me.