Thursday, April 05, 2007

Ms. Black Thumb

For me, gardening is the triumph of hope over experience. While both of my brothers are master gardeners, I have a black thumb.

Every spring I was inspired with visions of creating a lovely garden full of flowering plants. By mid-summer, I admit defeat as my new additions turn up their toes in the heat.

So I decided to take up Survival of the Fittest Gardening: buy native plants, put them in the ground following the instructions on the little tags, and wish them well.

But this week I am full of hope again. St. Betty told me about a new type of rose that can tolerate and thrive in the heat and humidity of southeast Texas and don't require a lot of attention. They're called "knockout roses" and are perfect for the Survival of the Fittest Gardener. St. Betty has several beautiful specimens in her yard. So she took me to her favorite nursery where I bought a passel of gorgeous double red knockout rose bushes. They are now planted in my front yard and look amazing!

I thought about posting pictures of them but decided, given my history as a Black Thumb, that, as the Bible says, "pride goeth before a fall." If they're still with me by August I'll show them to you.

7 comments:

Lori said...

I have many "damn it" plants of my own. Though I do confess to sporadic outpourings of green from my thumb.

Look forward to those pictures in August.

Anonymous said...

The picture shows your problem. You didn't plant your rock deep enough.

Rev Dave said...

Oh, please post some "before" pictures that we can compare to "after" in a few months!

Rev Dave (Kills Cactus by neglect)

reverendmother said...

I too have a black thumb, but in my recent "try new things; risk extravagantly!" kick, I have planted some stuff in larger planters in our patio. You're right, it's about hope. I finally decided, why not try? What's the worst that can happen?

Good luck with your roses!

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

Oh this will be fun!

And I love the rock!

Anonymous said...

I've got some of those roses around my pool. The landscaper put them in two years ago ... I've done absolutely nothing to them except cut them back when they get overwhelming. They even bloomed all winter!

Gannet Girl said...

Love it. I always figure God invented impatiens because of me.