Tuesday, January 27, 2009

No Good Deed Department

Notes from the No Good Deed Goes UnPunished Department:

As I've mentioned before, El Jefe and I are preparing to downsize and move to a smaller (but way cooler!) house. Knowing there was no room there for my piano, I donated it last week to a church in Galveston that lost its instrument courtesy of Hurricane Ike.

All well and good.

But.

Three big black stains appeared on the hardwood floor where the piano legs sat all those years.

So I trotted over to Home Depot and, following their advice, rubbed spirits of mineral oil on the stains and then, using a very very fine sandpaper, tried to erase the stain. It worked, sort of. But it took about 2 1/2 hours of diligent elbow grease. Then I put the finish renewer on it. Wow, am I stiff or what?

Huh. It looks a lot better, but not good. The marks are still pretty obvious. I'm not about to have the floor refinished at this point.

Advice, anyone?

4 comments:

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

Two words....throw rug.

*snickers* I have not ever done anything with a wood floor so I cannot help you!

Lori said...

If not a throw rug, then have an artist come and paint a pattern on the floor!

That's all I got.
:)

Jody Harrington said...

Alas, the throw rug won't work because of where the marks are. I'm thinking of putting a planter on top of one of the marks and still wondering how to conceal the other one....

Reformed Catholic said...

Can you move a chair ??

OK .. I know I'm using the pseudonym Reformed Catholic, but when Blogger sends me a word verification of latin, I think they're pushing it !!