Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Morphing into M.O.T.B. Mode

Your humble correspondent has been distracted from her usual blogging routine the last few days. Portia and her boyfriend announced their engagement and set the wedding date for September 2.

Since Portia is leaving to return to Austin for her final semester of law school we dashed around to secure the church, pastors and reception location before she left. Who knew that Labor Day weekend was very popular for weddings?

But we were successful with our arrangements. So now the wedding is on for September 2! We are very pleased to welcome the son-in-law-elect into the family. He is a graduate student in engineering who plans to transfer to a Phd program in the Houston area for neuro-biology while Portia begins work as an associate at Big-Time Houston law firm this fall.

With visions of music, photographers, florists, wedding and bridesmaid dresses, and to-do lists dancing in my head, I'm fixing to morph into Mother Of The Bride Mode and hoping my friends and relations will hit me upside the head whenever I need it. Advice from my blogging friends as I begin this metamorphisis is also welcome.

We had a big couple of days and now I must repair downstairs for a little adult refreshment.

Cheers, y'all!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, how exciting. I'm very happy for the whole family. We'll all look forward to blog updates on the trials and joys of being a young bride (and M.O.T.B) in 2006.

Anonymous said...

wonderful news :)

blessings on you all!

Jules said...

Terrific! Mazel Tov! Congratulations (although I know the bride's side of the famiy is not to be congratulated according to some silly etiquette rule, but is to be offered 'best wishes').

I'm looking forward to the updates as well.

Kathryn said...

Oh how lovely! Big congratulations and hugs all round.

mibi52/ The Rev. Dr. Mary Brennan Thorpe said...

How exciting! Is Portia very engaged in this whole process, or will she delegate tons of stuff to you (in your vast spare time)?

You are permitted three MOTB-zilla moments. That's all. We will tell you when you have reached your quota.

I've been MOTG for my two stepsons. A much easier deal than MOTB, except for the check-writing.

So should the RevGals get together and knit you a MOTB dress? I'm sure it would be very ummmmm tasteful.

St. Casserole said...

Oh fun! I hope you'll tell us about all the plans and your MOTB moments! Best wishes to your lovely daughter. (RevMom, you have great manners and attention to Mrs. Vanderbilt!)
Grace, please get a babe MOTB dress and not one of those dreadful old biddy dresses, ok?

reverendmother said...

Congratulations!

Jody Harrington said...

Mibi--
There will be lots of delegation since Portia will be in Austin to finish law school, take the bar review course and the Texas bar exam in July. Fortunately I have my wonderful SIL and neices with two weddings under their belts to help me.

St.Cass--
Definitely a babe MOTB dress is in order. Who needs to look like the GMOB? The search is on...after we find the other dresses!

Thanks for the good wishes, everyone.

Becky Ardell Downs said...

congrats to all! sure to be an occasion to remember . . .

Susie/Nueva Cantora said...

Oh, wonderful! Congratulations to them and you!

Susan said...

Congratulations! I was a first time MOTB this past August! Much fun! Much exhaustion. Much blessing!

spookyrach said...

Wow! Congratulations! Neuro-biology - impressive!

I have to admit, most MOTBs make me itch. Glad you are going into this with such a good attitude. ha ha!

opinionated said...

MORB warning: look out for the snowball effect.

opinionated said...

I mean MOTB warning!!

Mary Beth said...

Congratulations! that's WONDERFUL!

Unknown said...

Oh, QG, this is lovely, lovely news. I hope you will enjoy the whole process. Best wishes to you and to Portia.