Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Wedding Update One


1. Reserved the church

2. Engaged 3 ministers--the two pastors at our church PLUS our retired executive presbyter who happens to be the minister who married me and El Jefe (Cool, huh?) a mere 28 years ago.

3. Reserved the place for the reception (see picture--very southern, just what Portia wanted)

4. Called the groom's parents, who live in another state, introduced myself and had some wedding chat--they are very lovely on the phone and I am looking forward to meeting them.

5. Hired a photographer--and joined Weight Watchers. Nothing concentrates the mind on a diet like the prospect of being the MOTB in wedding photos for my posterity.

6. Decided that the wedding and bridesmaids dresses should be ordered in Austin instead of Houston to make fittings easier for Portia because the dress will surely arrive in the middle of the bar exam review and/or exam which she is taking in Austin, right?

7. Prepared to leave at dawn's early light TOMORROW for a trip to Austin to accompany Portia as she shops for a dress. I don't know if I'll make it a day trip or spend the night -- depends when we get finished and how it goes. And never underestimate the power of the blog--I may be able to meet up with Mindy and Rach while I'm there!

8. Made a preliminary start on the guest list. Very, very preliminary.

9. Alerted our church organist to be sure we're on his calendar, too.

10. There must be a 10 but I can't think of it! 10 is symmetry, 10 is completeness, 9 is not. Or am I wallowing in Biblical numerology?

Stop it! If it were Biblical it would be 12! 12 Tribes of Israel, 12 Apostles, 12 elders, 12 Angels around the Throne, etc!

Okay, I'm better now. Close call: almost a MOTB meltdown. Whew.

13 comments:

opinionated said...

Or seven! Take ten deep breaths.

Gord said...

3 ministers? HOw big is this wedding exactly?

Oh and definitely take the deep breaths--long way to go yet.

Becky Ardell Downs said...

Yeah, but isn't this fun??? :)
LOVE the house. Gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

Just a suggestion from a pastor--

Consider sharing The Lord's Supper in the wedding service. It really "seals" the spiritual meaning of the service with the preaching and it will be remembered by all who attend. My wife and I (both being preacher-types) did this and the whole event was really relaxed and worshipful.

Anyway, God bless the work!

Anonymous said...

This is so great. I feel like I'm catching a glimpse of my future (3 teenagers, one hoping to live in Austin one day.)

Nice house. Have fun.

PS My husband & I had 4 pastors (the 5th was in labor) officiate and 3 more in wedding party. It was gross.

Yeah communion. Sermon. Everybody had to pray. By the time we were done everyone in the county was married.

Unknown said...

10. Remember to breathe. Write self note if necessary.

Jan said...

Wow! I am impressed. Remind me to hire you when Rosemary reaches this point in her life! I think you are doing marvelously well!

Anonymous said...

11. Breath.

12. Renew the "n" "o" tatoo (good a time now as ever.

Wow, I can't wait to hear about the dresses... - the excitement builds.

St. Casserole said...

This Weight Watcher's business is troubling. The right dress with the right foundational garments is what you need to find. We all think you are perfect as is.

Jody Harrington said...

St Cass--I love you!!! But there is the little matter of the 10 pounds picked up over the holidays that is making my clothes uncomfortable...

Rev Dr Mom said...

I think this may be the first or second time I've been to your blog, but we have something in common: my own Lovely Daugher #2 is getting married on June 24. Exciting times!

Jody Harrington said...

Rev dr mom--welcome then to MOTB-land! Best wishes to you and your daughter for a lovely June wedding.

opinionated said...

The place for the reception is GORGEOUS!