Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Me and St. Paul at the Polls

It was a v-e-r-r-y slow day at the polls, despite the fact that we were conducting the run-offs for 3 precincts instead of one. It was so slow in fact that I was able to read several days worth of Bible in 90 Days assignments while there. Since we're in the midst of the Pauline epistles, you could say that St. Paul was very much my companion at my post. This led to some discussions of my BIND Bible and what it was and why I was reading it with my fellow election clerks.

Nothing really exciting happened after the machines failed to work when the polls opened at 7 and we had to call for assistance. Once rebooted, they worked fine. Here's a brief summary of 12 long hours:
  • No Democrats showed up to preside over their runoff.
  • Since the Democratic party in effect was paying for our time, we debated the best use of our remunerations. Party at the wine bar? Donation to the Republican PAC? Wine bar won.
  • About 200 people voted today in the Republican run-off and 6 voted in the Democratic party run-off.
  • Only 3 people tried to vote in the Republican run-off who had voted in the Democratic primary election--a lot fewer than we expected. When informed they could only vote in the Democratic run-off, they left without voting.
  • Our take-out lunches didn't include eating utensils, but we managed to finagle them from the high school cafeteria (our polling place is in the high school auditorium).
  • There was only 1 election placard for a candidate, instead of the usual dozens that we see.
  • I almost finished reading all of the Pauline epistles!
What's it all mean? I don't know, I've given up political prognosticating because my record of accuracy isn't very good. Don't you wish all those political pundits and talking heads would do the same?

5 comments:

Reformed Catholic said...

Based on what I've seen of Democrats lately (and I've been one for a long long time), unless its a national beauty contest, most 'so called' Democrats are too apathetic to care about any other election.

Now, wasn't it a Texas Democrat (Sam Rayburn, perhaps) that said all politics is local ?? Sad commentary on the state of the Democratic Party in Texas, thats for sure.

Lori said...

Wine bar was a good choice.

Mac said...

"All politics is local." Late Speaker of the House of Representatives Tip O'Neill

Ruby said...

I think the Democrats might have had a higher percentage turnout than the Republicans. I mean 6 Democrats must be something like %25 of the registered D's.
The primary *is* the election in that part of the world, so what's up with the low Republican turnout?
Just sayin'.
P.S. I still wish I'd been there to hang out with you. We could have brought a little bi-partisan Lido deck spirit to the polling place -- and to the wine bar afterwards.

spookyrach said...

"wine bar won" - haaaaaaa!